Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
abc123
New Member!
Female 

12-09-2011, 03:41 PM

Help with sensitive bowel

Hello , this is my first log in so apologies if i get it wrong . I really need some help please i think my dog may have a sensitive bowel.He is currently on hills science diet vet essentials dry food. Today he has slightly mucus poo with some blood. He has had this before and the vet seemed to think it was not serious but gave him some anti-inflamatory tablets these did work but were expensive.Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative as i think this is a reccuring condition. Louis is 6 months old 10 kilos he is a french / british bulldog cross. Thank you
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Has he been tested for EPI?
abc123
New Member!
Female 

12-09-2011, 04:16 PM
I dont know what that is so i dont know if the vet tested for it . We had to send off samples collected over 3 days, but im not sure what the tests were for . I do know he was clear for parasites. It seems everytime he gets a bout of this it costs me money for sample tests 3 times we have paid now . Every time they prescribe Panacur as a precaution and anti-inflamatory drugs. He does have the worlds worst wind but his stomach feels normal.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Have you tried chappie tinned food or Burns pork and potato dry food ?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
I dont know what that is so i dont know if the vet tested for it . We had to send off samples collected over 3 days, but im not sure what the tests were for . I do know he was clear for parasites. It seems everytime he gets a bout of this it costs me money for sample tests 3 times we have paid now . Every time they prescribe Panacur as a precaution and anti-inflamatory drugs. He does have the worlds worst wind but his stomach feels normal.
I would be very tempted to put him on a grain free diet - ie raw meat and bones, either BARF diet or prey model, whichever you prefer. These are the classic symptoms of a dog who cannot tolerate carbs.

It is unlikely he could have giardia as you have been prescribed Panacur, but you may want to mention it to your vet - one of the main symptoms of giardiasis is chronic and very malodorous wind - but my money would be on an unsuitable carb-laden diet.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Ah right, that would be to test for giardia - sorry, I missed this hence my earlier posting. Giardia is extremely difficult to diagnose from fecal samples, but with both humans and dogs you have to take samples over 3 days although, as I say, it is very difficult for the lab to see any spores present.

The treatment for giardia is to dose with Panacur for 3 days in succession following the dosage recommended on the bottle for giardia. You don't need to buy Panacur from the vet, you can get it much cheaper from Pet City or Pets at Home or any pet shop licensed to sell medication.
abc123
New Member!
Female 

13-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the advice . I will try him on a no carb diet but am a bit unsure about feeding raw meat. I have found a no carb dry mix called EVO but i cannot order it from the uk. All uk based dog foods include rice or potatoe unless anyone knows of a product i can buy.Once again thanks for the advice , knowing i dont have to always pay a consultation fee at the vet everytime he needs medication will save me a small fortune.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the advice . I will try him on a no carb diet but am a bit unsure about feeding raw meat. I have found a no carb dry mix called EVO but i cannot order it from the uk. All uk based dog foods include rice or potatoe unless anyone knows of a product i can buy.Once again thanks for the advice , knowing i dont have to always pay a consultation fee at the vet everytime he needs medication will save me a small fortune.
You will not find a NO carb diet as vegetables have carbs.

JWB lamb and vegetable only contains potato, there is Fish 4 dogs, Orijen, Applaws

However, before you go changing your dog's diet perhaps it is best to understand the CAUSE of its problems which may not be diet related at all.
abc123
New Member!
Female 

13-09-2011, 11:57 AM
You are right i do need to understand the cause believe me i have tried , he has been seen by the vet at least twice a month since i got him . Bouts of the runs , mucus and bleeding , the vet put him on the current food and it does seem to work most of the time but he always has the worst wind. He is a scavenger he will eat anything , so have to watch him 24/7. After all the money spent on tests I am no nearer getting an explanation the Vet cannot seem to give me any answers.I am gratefull for any advice and will try anything . Poor little fella he dosent seem in pain but all that straining must be uncomfortable for him.Thank you for your response .
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 12:47 PM
You are right i do need to understand the cause believe me i have tried , he has been seen by the vet at least twice a month since i got him . Bouts of the runs , mucus and bleeding , the vet put him on the current food and it does seem to work most of the time but he always has the worst wind. He is a scavenger he will eat anything , so have to watch him 24/7. After all the money spent on tests I am no nearer getting an explanation the Vet cannot seem to give me any answers.I am gratefull for any advice and will try anything . Poor little fella he dosent seem in pain but all that straining must be uncomfortable for him.Thank you for your response .
Is the blood, if any, that you are seeing in the stools bright red or dark red?

Your story is so reminiscent of what we went through with Hal and then years later with Tai. Hal's problems were caused by a diet too high in carbs, and putting him on the BARF diet cured him almost instantly, but Tai's were caused by giardia and we very nearly lost him.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »