Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 03:50 PM

Whats the best age to start agility?

As the title says please I would ask an agility club if I could find one but I'm not being very successful. I might have to start looking further afield...
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 06:48 PM
I think it really depends on the dog and what training you are doing. Obviosuly you have to be careful with their joints in youngsters. My 12 week old pup comes training with us. He loves it. He does the tunnel and follows his ball through wings. I see no problem at all introducing them to the basics from day one but would leave anything that could put strain on their joints until at least a year old.

I did exactly the same with Callan who started properly training at about 13 months. He never really went through the beginner dog stage as he already knew the commands and what to do before even going over a jump or anything.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
I think it really depends on the dog and what training you are doing. Obviosuly you have to be careful with their joints in youngsters. My 12 week old pup comes training with us. He loves it. He does the tunnel and follows his ball through wings. I see no problem at all introducing them to the basics from day one but would leave anything that could put strain on their joints until at least a year old.

I did exactly the same with Callan who started properly training at about 13 months. He never really went through the beginner dog stage as he already knew the commands and what to do before even going over a jump or anything.
Thanks. She does the tunnel and the weaves and the tyre at ground level. She's 6 months now. I thought it was about 12 months but wasn't certain. She is really enjoying it but has a bit longer to wait.
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 07:05 PM
I personally wouldn't do any weaves at 6 months. They were the last thing that we introduced Callan to and he picked it up in no time.

Really pleased that she is enjoying it. We started off doing abit of agility for fun and now it has totally taken over our lives
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks will ditch the weaves for the time bing then, shes rubbish at it anyway. When i let her out, if the tunnel is still out she runs through and then runs to me all pleased with herself as if to say "look im a clever girl"
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 08:11 PM
I was about 20 when I started and I would certainly recommend starting young. It is much harder when you get older all that running about and our trainer thinks up very hard routes around the equipment and at my age I find it hard to remember!

My dog on the other hand is 9 and has no difficulty at all
luca12
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2011, 08:38 PM
I tend to start the pups quite early as part of their general training but with very basic and non impact exercises - going between jump wings and round jump wings, learning left and right commands etc

I find it really useful to teach them a 'go on' command using a toy to get them used to getting ahead of you and working at a distance.

Balance exercises using wobble boards can be fun and useful to teach self awareness.

Mainly having fun together and showing them that agility is fun so they are focused on working for for you doing something they really enjoy

We don't start jumping them / weaves / contacts until they are over 12 months and then only very gradually - tbh the foundation work makes all the other bits come together really nicely .
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Thank you all It gives me a while to find a good club then. There is one in L'Pool I know of but its well known as being a rip off so will prob only go there if I cant find an alternative. She's brill in training class. She only has 2 classes left then she's finished. I worry she will get bored as she thrives there also.
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 10:21 PM
You need to find a good club and put your name on a waiting list now, good clubs quite often have long waiting lists (about a year).
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by TBBS View Post
You need to find a good club and put your name on a waiting list now, good clubs quite often have long waiting lists (about a year).
Thank you. Would you give me any advice on where to look? The KC website and google are bringing up nothing.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >