View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2013, 09:16 AM
Some dogs are scared of the noise of the clicker initially but there's lots of things you can do to get over that. Some clicked are much quieter that others, or you can click behind your back, in your pocket, in a gloved hand..or some people use a a pen to click...but you'd have to make sure it's not one you use to write with because if they were hearing it click a lot and not get treated then they would stop resonding to it as a no see that meant a treat was coming.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
I don't know whether anyone else has had the same problem with clicker training as I had when training Chloe and M'boi with a clicker. Chloe was so frightened of the clicking sound ...............
Like to bet you have a box or metal clicker. Karen Pryor's i click is much quieter & not metallic sounding, not met a dog yet that was frighten of an i click, even dogs that are frightened of the louder ones.

Clicker training isn't for every owner, but is a very useful tool that allows fearful dogs that are frightened of being touched learn hands off. It is used by some of the more progressive rescues

Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2013, 11:20 AM
There are a lot of things you can use instead of a clicker, a pen as Catein says, I know people who used a to of a baby food jar. A clicker makes the same noise all the time but or spoken command changes each time we as a word.

What I love about positive training is if it works, the dog finds it easy to work out and no force or punishment is used virtually anything goes.
AMGT
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2013, 05:12 PM
My old pony who is sadly no longer with us was at first spooked by the sound of the clicker but as he was foody he got over that with a bit of patience.

I also tend to use "That's it" as a click with my animals and know what it means. As with all learning different animals/people have preferred learning styles and it is about adopting a humane approach that works for the individual. I too have found that my animals have copied good behaviour from each other.

Sounds like Georgina is coming on well.
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2013, 06:37 PM
I clicker train with Bailiie and she loves it, loves using her brain and its wonderful to actually see the dog working, it's very rewarding. I'm off to a clicker training day on Sunday, it's the second one we've done so I'm taking lots of bits and pieces with me and hoping for a bit of inspiration to allow me to take things further.
When we first learnt how to use the clicker last year, our trainer taught us to use a tennis ball for getting the timing right - we worked in pairs and had to watch closely through our partners legs and click just at the right time. It was quite frustrating at first but once we'd cracked it it all came together.

muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2013, 06:55 PM
I like clicker training. All the reasons have already been stated so I won't repeat.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Polarbear2008 View Post
I clicker train with Bailiie and she loves it, loves using her brain and its wonderful to actually see the dog working, it's very rewarding. I'm off to a clicker training day on Sunday, it's the second one we've done so I'm taking lots of bits and pieces with me and hoping for a bit of inspiration to allow me to take things further.
When we first learnt how to use the clicker last year, our trainer taught us to use a tennis ball for getting the timing right - we worked in pairs and had to watch closely through our partners legs and click just at the right time. It was quite frustrating at first but once we'd cracked it it all came together.

That's a great idea! Its very frustrating to watch people training when they just can't get the timing right. I remember one dog in particularly, a highly intelligent highly active young patterdale with owner who were a retired couple, they just could not get the timing right and in the dog would prompt them when to click! One of the owners would do the commands and the treats and the other would click. Ruby would do what was asked of her and then sort of nod toward the person with the clicker for them to click her!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2