Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2015, 11:51 AM

Skinny dog this morning :(

I felt so bad for him... he followed us home from a walk and ate literally 3 of those cups of food. He was extremely hand shy but a really gentle guy. He didn't go after our cats, and he was quiet as a mouse.

He can't stay here and I don't want the shelter to put him down, so once again I have a stray dog dilemma. A dog of his breed in his condition is euthanasia bait for sure.

Oh, poor dude. He's hanging around of course, and he's safe for now... wish I knew somewhere safe he could go, but there is no place. Stray dogs really take the hard fall here.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2015, 12:28 PM
That is so sad but maybe euthanasia although so final for such a beautiful creature is perhaps the kindest way. Are there no dog welfare centres out there to cope with these waifs and strays? Just to give them a chance of a new home for life?
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Myra, have you no friends that could give him a home even if it were a foster home until you found him somewhere permanent. His previous owners if they have just shed him deserve to be hung. Maybe he is a genuine stray do you Tag dogs out there so you know who owns them? Maybe they are missing him?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2015, 12:48 PM
I really wish I knew someone that could take him and love him. That's all he needs, TLC, it's obvious that he's a good dog. He's a VERY gentle guy and my Nigredo liked him a ton.

There is the local pound, but I know what they do to dogs like him. He is a skinny, scared pit bull dog. I can't bear to call animal control, I'm so scared they will put him down... and I don't want him to die.

I WISH I could keep him, but my family and my Jade are having none of that. I'm really not sure what to do. He's not a dangerous dog, so I'm hoping to keep him around and get him a bit more comfortable with me so I can get a leash on him and maybe see if somebody will keep him.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Myra, I am sure you will do your best for him, wish I could help but am not able to obviously. I have my own problems to make sure Amber is walked three times a day, mainly because I cannot walk far so she has to have three shorter walks.

Good luck Myra, I wish you well.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2015, 01:36 PM
I had forgotten to give him water so I gave him three bowls of water just a bit ago. My neighbor came out with his tiny yapping dog and a baseball bat, so I called him over to me and he did come, but not close enough for me to touch him.

He's extremely hand shy. If I can get him to stay a few days, I'm hoping he will let me put a leash on him so I can perhaps take him around and see if he belongs to anybody. He only needs a family, he doesn't need euthanasia, he's not a mean or dangerous dog at all.

As a note, he WILL NOT come near me if I don't have Nigredo outside with me. I've tried to get him to come with Nigredo in the house, and he's NOT coming. He ran WAY far away when I came outside without Nigredo and I couldn't get him to come back until I went and got Nigredo, and then he came back quickly.

For SOME reason, he will only come near me if Nigredo is right there. I don't really understand, but I'm hoping to get him to trust me enough to put a leash on him.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I had forgotten to give him water so I gave him three bowls of water just a bit ago. My neighbor came out with his tiny yapping dog and a baseball bat, so I called him over to me and he did come, but not close enough for me to touch him.

He's extremely hand shy. If I can get him to stay a few days, I'm hoping he will let me put a leash on him so I can perhaps take him around and see if he belongs to anybody. He only needs a family, he doesn't need euthanasia, he's not a mean or dangerous dog at all.

As a note, he WILL NOT come near me if I don't have Nigredo outside with me. I've tried to get him to come with Nigredo in the house, and he's NOT coming. He ran WAY far away when I came outside without Nigredo and I couldn't get him to come back until I went and got Nigredo, and then he came back quickly.

For SOME reason, he will only come near me if Nigredo is right there. I don't really understand, but I'm hoping to get him to trust me enough to put a leash on him.
You are doing so well with this; well done and persevere. Wrong to kill strays...he trusts another dog probably. Keep trying please. he sounds like the feral cat here!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2015, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Moyra View Post
Myra, I am sure you will do your best for him, wish I could help but am not able to obviously. I have my own problems to make sure Amber is walked three times a day, mainly because I cannot walk far so she has to have three shorter walks.

Good luck Myra, I wish you well.
Moyra; I have not been able to walk my dogs for a long while. Year ago when I was first thinking re rescuing, the boss at the welfare place told me that all I needed to exercise a dog was a ball.. I was very limited even then and he reassured me on that score . It may be also that you need to keep mobile as I do but even playing fetch will do that. Better exercise in fact that the distance I could walk them. and I never walked them more than once a day.. hate that you are suffering
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
You are doing so well with this; well done and persevere. Wrong to kill strays...he trusts another dog probably. Keep trying please. he sounds like the feral cat here!
Thanks. I can't say it's WRONG to kill strays, because often they are suffering and there's no other kinder way to do things, as Moyra pointed out, but this sweet boy doesn't deserve to die.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-07-2015, 03:34 PM
Sadly you have to ask yourself what's worse for this dog to starve to death on the streets or be euthanised, in my book the first U.S. Worse, he looks a lovely boy ( are you sure he does not have an owner ) ,and as hard as it it, you have taken thus on, so for the dogs sake phone animal control. At least that way you can rest at ease, he is 1' not going to suffer 2 ' he's not going to fall into the wrong hands..

Poor boy so sad !
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >