Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Most folk I saw moved out the way for bigger dogs. And crates containing dogs otherwise they've have got their legs knocked!

As for small dogs, many picked them up or crated them if they had to bring them through crowds, but most exited using the doors nearest to their benching.

When I had to go through crowds with Roxy, I just scooped her up - no problem! She got lots of attention and had a snooze! I didn't carry her all the time though, sometimes she walked through without a problem. Bagging herself freebies on the way!

Guide Dogs, Dogs for the Disabled etc, have to be able to cope with crowds so this was good for them. Seen many "in training" youngsters taking it all in their stride as well. I will be posting pictures of my "hot and stressed" dog at Crufts tonight!
How is it good for them? They feel stress just as much as any other dog, they are not bereft of feeling just because they are guide dogs. The ones I saw there were being bashed into left right and centre...that isn't good for any dog, nor should it be part of it's training.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 07:20 AM
I was there on Saturday, we were in hall 5. The dogs have their own entrances throughout the complex and can't enter where the GP come in.

I didn't see any crowds, I stayed in Hall 5 with the dog. I wouldn't dream of taking him where the main shopping areas are. Crufts has become too big and is attracting the wrong sort of people. I heard that someone had squealed to get a dog away from her because she didn't like dogs Why visit the biggest dog show in the country.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 07:24 AM
I also never take my dogs around the trade stands, it's just too risky to have them pushed around and possibly have their feet trodden on. I always have a friend with me and we take it in turns for toilet breaks and shopping etc., so that the dog is never left unattended on it's bench.

That's my only gripe about Crufts, it is too commercial and more pointed towards the general public and what they will spend, rather than the dog show aspect and making sure the dogs and exhibitors are their number one priority. But I am aware of that when I enter my dog for Crufts, and so long as my dog doesn't have to endure the squashing in amongst the crowds then that is fine.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
How is it good for them? They feel stress just as much as any other dog, they are not bereft of feeling just because they are guide dogs. The ones I saw there were being bashed into left right and centre...that isn't good for any dog, nor should it be part of it's training.
Yes, I am aware of that and I would hope the trainer would take sensible precautions (ie. not TOO busy an area that the puppy's physical risk is in danger and not for too long a time either and so on) as the dog will have to learn to cope with busy situations obviously without being scarred for life during training. They do have to be bombproof, as they say.

One of our Pets As Therapy dogs is also an assistance dog to his owner who is in a wheelchair. He's a Labrador and coped fantastically well in the busy environment that was Crufts - his tail didn't stop thrashing around even with the huge crowds. He was one happy, bombproof dog.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 06:07 PM
I went on saturday the same as last year & pretty much the same events going on in the arena, I thought it was Allot busier than last year & and the arena seemed packed out, esp for the Fly-ball events and the small knock out agility!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I was there on Saturday, we were in hall 5. The dogs have their own entrances throughout the complex and can't enter where the GP come in.

I didn't see any crowds, I stayed in Hall 5 with the dog. I wouldn't dream of taking him where the main shopping areas are. Crufts has become too big and is attracting the wrong sort of people. I heard that someone had squealed to get a dog away from her because she didn't like dogs Why visit the biggest dog show in the country.
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I also never take my dogs around the trade stands, .
Completely agree, dogs should not be taken aroudn the main shopping areas, if they stay where they are supposed to be, that will not be trampled on by the crowds.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 07:04 PM
One year the junior benches were no where near the ring. I don't know where they bench the dogs in the KC good citizen displays now but that was also no where near.

The activities benching was close to the activities ring but not near the display ring that some of them were required in.

The show benching is easy as the dogs aren't needed anywhere else but some of the activities are a problem.

rune
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
we just avoid crowds with the dogs - hence no shopping, wont leave the dogs alone with out anyone to sit with them, we stay ring side where is not to bad. They have breaks out side. I feel more public should be respectful, I know its a public event but that does not give people the right to touch dogs without asking, put fingers through crates..or take pictures with out permission. All things bugged me.. But thats them with no manners for you!
or randomers hanging out by your bag
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 07:30 PM
i love it had a great time and no doubt will have a great time in the years to come too

i fell in love with so many of the paintings in frames, definately filling my house with some when i have my own place! love them. also wanted a grooming book, but didnt take much money with me and it was £45.

but i love it. the general public can be a bit of a pain, they dont seem to think of the dogs, even though the dogs are the reason they are there.

i got really annoyed at DD because all the dogs i wanted to talk to owners about, i couldnt get anywhere near because there were so many people wanting cuddles and pictures with them, i gave up in the end
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
or randomers hanging out by your bag
How bad was I I have to have my stuff and doglets in view..Would never forgive myself if something happened.
Page 9 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 >