Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 07:34 PM

Puppies _ I think I might want one???

Some of you may have caught the thread about me delivering a litter of lab pups last weekend. I said I was trying not to get attached and that i wouldnt need much of a push to get one.
Jadie went to the bridge the week before christmas and I always said I wouldnt have a one dog alone and so the timing couldnt get any better, but I'm umming and arring about these babies.

Mum and dad are both stunning dogs. Dad particularly so, hes a lovely big black boy with a gentle, kind character. The pup I want is a black boy too.
So whats stopping me??? The best bit... those puppy days. Having lived 9 years with a lunatic of a weimi who never aged past 6 months I'm not sure I want to repeat the madness that he bought with him.
My jack is calm and confident and well behaved on the whole, but definitely lonely on his own. I know if I bought this pup home all the potential problems would be small next to the fun and love the bundle would bring, I just cant bring myself to say yes. I dont get it. 3 months ago I wouldnt have hesitated.
Any thoughts anyone?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Puppyitis can be pretty terminal you know!
Becky
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 07:48 PM
There must be a reason you can't say yes, I say listen to your heart, is the only reason you're considering one of these pups the fact that you helped deliver them, or because they are so handy, if they wern't there would you consider a lab pup, how would you feel if you said no and saw them all go to different homes, for the dogs sake you have to be honest with yourself, I've no doubt if you got one, you'd love it to bits, but would you regret it, maybe it's just to soon after Jadie, you have to do this for you as much as Jack, sorry rambled on a bit, but hope it helps
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Open your mouth and the word yes will come out.
Dont worry about the time, we got Skye a few weeks after Storm and never regretted it.

I have pm'ed you
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I knew these pups were due before we lost Jadie and I think I had planned to have one. Jack has calmed since we lost Jadie, but only because he's not pulling her tail etc. I know that wouldnt be an issue with a younger dog as they would want to play together, where as jadie never could.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Please don't think I'm criticizing about it being to soon after Jadies passing, we got Jack 3 weeks after losing our old boy, I was just wondering if it was too soon for you, only you'll know that
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 08:47 PM
I think sometimes we over think and analys things, I know I do. If it helps make a for and against list (and then say yes).
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 12:04 PM
hiya, we got nick 1 weeks after we lost todd - my mum was devastated after loosing toddy that, my dad though, not to repace todd but take her mind off things we got nick, and never looked back, we will never forget todd but we have got nick, he took our mind off things.

18 months later, sam, 9 years later, millie, another 5 months from now, another

seriously, good luck with whatever you decide, just follow your heart...
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 12:13 PM
I know just what you mean about not knowing whether you won't to go through the puppy stage again.

However, if you do decide to get one of these pups, I'm sure you will cope brilliantly and will never regret it.

One other thought though - if you want to avoide the puppy stage, why not have a look at the rescue dogs. I know some people think that it's not the same as having your own dog from a pup, but believe me, that's not the case.

Good luck whatever you decide
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-01-2008, 12:48 PM
What makes you think the pup will never mature?
I think your heart says yes, your head say no.
Only you can deiced really, but when i have been like that my heart always wins, and then the head thinks its not as bad as i thought.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »