Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2004, 08:38 AM

indies puppy class

last weeks puppy class was great. Only 2 of us showed up out of the 10 dogs that are usually there. So indie and the other pup, which was a kelpie cross i think or could have been a lab ops: got to play for ages. They ran around like loons for ages. And we got to practise our recall while they were playing, and indie was actually coming back.

Anyways, usually when its the whole class, indie makes a right racket barking and growling. Especially growling at the other dogs. But when shes one on one with another dog, shes fine and rolls on her back etc.

The trainer reakons its because its too stressful for her when theres lots of dogs and cant protect herself from them all or sumin. As when she plays one on one she sorta submits.

So im glad shes not growing into a nasty little dog. I was worried she was gonna be sour towards certain dogs, but it turns out not, cos shes great with them individually.

jus thought id share

oh.. and also..trainer thought this was bizarre...

When we take indie out on a walk, usually down the common so she can be on an extendable lead. Anyways, shes great on the way out, she wont pull and will come when called. But the minute we turn round to go home, she pulls all the way. We have tried running opposite direction, hiding or just stoppping until she doesnt pull anymore. even tried treats and toys.
Does anyone know why she does this? trainer doesnt understand as she says usually they pull on the way out and dont wanna go home.
its not that indies tired, when we get home she still runs around like a mad thing for like 2 hrs and this is after an hour long walk.

Trainer suggested putting a cue on the pulling, so hopefully if i can teach her to pull, then i can teach her not to pull. But i cant get this idea to work.

Also, we do change our roots, and it doesnt matter if its old or new, she knows when we're halfway. Including turning around halfway.

Its very annoying, cos i have tobring OH with me, and he has to hold the lead on the way back since she pulls so hard
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2004, 09:15 AM
Does anthing particularly rewarding happen when you get home? E.g. Does she get a drink; get fed; get groomed; get played with; get a treat; get cuddled; etc. ?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2004, 09:49 AM
not that i can think of.
She gets a drink. thats about it. So maybe it would be worth bringing a bottle of water with me next time? As its the first thing she does when she gets home and drinks loads too.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

06-10-2004, 12:31 AM
If she is not reluctant to leave the house for a walk and if she enjoys being on the common & shows no signs of anxiety/nervousness while she is there, then it could be that she wants to get home for a drink. It's a bit of a long shot but worth trying to see if giving her some water while she is out makes any difference. Is anyone left in the house when you go out that she might be eager to get back to?

Glad you both enjoyed the puppy class. It is not unusual for some dogs to be very overwhelmed when put in a situation with a lot of other dogs.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2004, 06:18 AM
Jenny, Bella's the same. She enjoys being out to run, but the minute she recognizes a sot leading home, she pulls like a madman.....

She doesnt get treats or drink anywater when home.

She's a gsd and very "herdy", she likes to know where everyone is.... Maybe that's why?

Hmmmmm
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2004, 07:07 AM
the only good thing about indie pulling on the way backis that she shows us the way home if we are lost.lol.

She sniffs her way all the way home.. maybe she wants to prove she can?
I will try the water thing tho, i think it could be that. Although even on the shortest of walks she pulls on way home. theres never usually anyone at home for her to see when we get there. And she really enjoys being up the common.
She never ever gets excited about going for a walk though. She doesnt bark or go loony like most dogs.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2004, 06:41 PM
ok the water thing just didnt work. Indie still pulls on way home.

I dont understand it. She doesnt get anything when she gets home. And she seems to enjoy herself out on the walk. And its not like she lies down when shegets home.

Also, we went the wrong way today, and turned around, the minute we did she started pulling, so its not like shes tired either.

Could it be that she likes sniffing her way home? or showing us she knows the way?

I jus cant figure it out.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2004, 07:46 PM
All my 4 pull on the way out and walk really slowly on the way back cos they want to stay out longer!!!lol
Carole
Supervisor

06-10-2004, 07:52 PM
same here with Star she is nice and relaxed on the way home.