View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:39 AM

Can one register a dog with two vets at the same time?

There are two vets in my area - at each one, is one really good vet. The others in the team at each are nowhere near as good.

Is it totally 'not the done thing' to register a dog with two vets - I would be upfront with each vet.....?

Thanks for any feedback!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:43 AM
There's nothing to stop you, but there's also nothing to stop a vet from removing you as a client if they really objected. I don't think I'd want to be with a vet that petty though!
One of the main issues is that you could have a conflict in terms of treatment or medication so definately important to be open about being with another vets if both are actively treating the dog. You wouldn't want one vet to put your dog on one medication and another vet misdiagnose something else in your dog because the medication was disguising symptoms or causing sideeffects the vet mistook for symptoms of something. Or both vets prescribing two medications that interacted badly, one vet operating on a dog that was on medication prescribed by the other that could affect the blood's ability to clot..all sorts of potential risks. So definately be open if you see the other vets regularly - if you just go to one vet for vaccinations and flea treatment then I don't think it's such a big deal, but obviously tell your regular vet that the dog is vaccinated and flea treated so they don't take it upon themselves to do it too.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:48 AM
I don't think there is anything to stop you, but why not just register with one and ask for the "good" vet each time you need to see a vet?
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Ive done it. My vets are great but another local one was doing 50% off on entering lol so got him done with them!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I don't think there is anything to stop you, but why not just register with one and ask for the "good" vet each time you need to see a vet?

Because the really good vet at the nearest practice is semi retired and only there on Monday mornings.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Dawes Paws View Post
Ive done it. My vets are great but another local one was doing 50% off on entering lol so got him done with them!

LOL LOL - cheers
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
There's nothing to stop you, but there's also nothing to stop a vet from removing you as a client if they really objected. I don't think I'd want to be with a vet that petty though!
One of the main issues is that you could have a conflict in terms of treatment or medication so definately important to be open about being with another vets if both are actively treating the dog. You wouldn't want one vet to put your dog on one medication and another vet misdiagnose something else in your dog because the medication was disguising symptoms or causing sideeffects the vet mistook for symptoms of something. Or both vets prescribing two medications that interacted badly, one vet operating on a dog that was on medication prescribed by the other that could affect the blood's ability to clot..all sorts of potential risks. So definately be open if you see the other vets regularly - if you just go to one vet for vaccinations and flea treatment then I don't think it's such a big deal, but obviously tell your regular vet that the dog is vaccinated and flea treated so they don't take it upon themselves to do it too.

Many thanks, I agree with all your points and also that it might be 'petty' if one of the vets objected...

As always, a great answer, thanks
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:58 AM
UPDATE:

Guys thanks so much for your responses. They were very reassuring and I phoned one of the vets, in fact the one we were originally with. The nurse laughed and said there was no problem at all with being registered at two vets - and I'm taking Dex there this afternoon!

Thanks so much guys
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Omg just seen my post says "entering" when it should have said NEUTERING. stupid phone!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Ethically a vet cannot refuse to treat a sick animal. Legally is a different matter.

As you are paying for the service you are free to take your animal to any vet you wish. It is a professional courtesy that some vets will contact the previous/other vet for records.

My main vets know that I will never use them for Hip/Elbow scoring & the vet that I do use for them has never contacted my main vet. I'm having Keewee Penn Hipped & no vet in this area is qualified to do this so I am off to the best vet in the UK for the testing
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >