Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2009, 09:42 AM

Vaccinations, necessary or not???

I know, that's a terrible title. I have ALWAYS had my pets vaccinated.

BUT, I have spoken to two people this week who only have their pets vaccinated as puppies/kittens and say they don't need any more. I was/am shocked that they would take such a risk. We have 10 pets who all have vaccinations yearly, so it is an expensive time. Am I being the fool for doing this, or are my friends, for not doing this??

I have to add we live in Turkey now. So 4 of our pets are Turkish street animals (rescues). If an animal has come from the street, has it proved it is immune to the diseases they have vaccinations for and therefore don't need the jabs?

We are not wealthy people and if we don't need to spend all this money on injections I would be interested. But I suspect they do need them and I couldn't live with my self if they caught something because I tried to save money.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Bibby View Post
I know, that's a terrible title. I have ALWAYS had my pets vaccinated.

BUT, I have spoken to two people this week who only have their pets vaccinated as puppies/kittens and say they don't need any more. I was/am shocked that they would take such a risk. We have 10 pets who all have vaccinations yearly, so it is an expensive time. Am I being the fool for doing this, or are my friends, for not doing this??

I have to add we live in Turkey now. So 4 of our pets are Turkish street animals (rescues). If an animal has come from the street, has it proved it is immune to the diseases they have vaccinations for and therefore don't need the jabs?

We are not wealthy people and if we don't need to spend all this money on injections I would be interested. But I suspect they do need them and I couldn't live with my self if they caught something because I tried to save money.
Bibby, it is a decision that only you can make really. For what it's worth, my advice would always to go for the vaccinations for the first 3 years. After that, my personal view is that you are just wasting your money ... and possibly even risking your dog's life, particularly if they are northern breed types or wolf crosses, because these dogs suffer far higher incidences of going into anaphylactic shock following a jab than other breeds. The theory behind only vaccinating for the first 3 years is that following this period, the immune system will be well and truly woken up to those diseases that they have been vaccinated against.

I would google as much as I could if I were you, Bibby, especially with regards to Turkey because what may be good practice in the UK could be just the opposite in Turkey. Then when you have the facts for and against, you can make a sensible decision.

Good luck with whatever decision you make ... whichever one it is, you must never castigate yourself if it turned out to be the wrong one. I believe that neither side is totally correct on the subject of annual vaccinations, and that it is down to each individual dog owner to make their own reasoned and logical choice.
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2009, 02:42 PM
What a brilliant and well balanced reply. Very interesting too.

To explain:- we have 2 dogs (12 and 6) we brought over from uk, one's a Jack Russell and one's a Cairn/Westie cross. Then we have a Collie/Setter/Retriever style dog picked up from the streets of turkey she is about 3.

THEN we have 2 Turkish street cats rescued in a near death state when they were about 10 months old, they are now almost 3 and continually getting infections and problems that wont heal. They have cost us a fortune, we adore them though.

We have a fostered cat that is Turkish and has had 2 lots of vaccinations in her 18 month life. She has always had good nutrition.

We also have 4 very pampered Ferrets (from the UK), who we have (since we came here) vaccinated against rabies. But we don't risk the Distemper jab as it isn't one tailored to ferrets and (IMHO) too much of a risk considering they never go outside.

I think it's a legal requirement to vaccinate against rabies but will check.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 03:37 PM
I haven't vaccinated at all in 14 years and I have a 13 year old, a ten year old and a five year old who have never been done but have had titre tests run and all OK - we have given homeopathic noseodes though.

I also have an almost 12 month old Lab who was vaccinated before he joined us but will not be done again unless I have reason to change my thinking - very personal decision - you have to carefully go through the dos and don'ts and whatever you decide with be confidant with your choice.

Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
I haven't vaccinated at all in 14 years and I have a 13 year old, a ten year old and a five year old who have never been done but have had titre tests run and all OK - we have given homeopathic noseodes though.

I also have an almost 12 month old Lab who was vaccinated before he joined us but will not be done again unless I have reason to change my thinking - very personal decision - you have to carefully go through the dos and don'ts and whatever you decide with be confidant with your choice.

Good post MW. It really does come down to personal choice at the end of the day, doesn't it. And having made your choice, sticking to it.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Bibby View Post
What a brilliant and well balanced reply. Very interesting too.

To explain:- we have 2 dogs (12 and 6) we brought over from uk, one's a Jack Russell and one's a Cairn/Westie cross. Then we have a Collie/Setter/Retriever style dog picked up from the streets of turkey she is about 3.

THEN we have 2 Turkish street cats rescued in a near death state when they were about 10 months old, they are now almost 3 and continually getting infections and problems that wont heal. They have cost us a fortune, we adore them though.

We have a fostered cat that is Turkish and has had 2 lots of vaccinations in her 18 month life. She has always had good nutrition.

We also have 4 very pampered Ferrets (from the UK), who we have (since we came here) vaccinated against rabies. But we don't risk the Distemper jab as it isn't one tailored to ferrets and (IMHO) too much of a risk considering they never go outside.

I think it's a legal requirement to vaccinate against rabies but will check.
No probs Bibby. Very interesting to read your story too - thanks for sharing!
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 07:24 PM
I agree with what Gnasher said. However, we use kennels once a year and they insist on the vaccinations so, unfortunately I have to go by their rules.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Annajayne View Post
I agree with what Gnasher said. However, we use kennels once a year and they insist on the vaccinations so, unfortunately I have to go by their rules.
Yes, this is the snag isn't it. We never use kennels, Tai comes everywhere with us, so it is not a problem, but if you do use kennels, then unfortunately at the moment you have to vaccinate. The alternative is to use a dog sitter like Animal Aunts, but they are quite expensive.
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Are some vets changing their views slightly, do you think? Last time I took Eddie the vet said they only vaccinate for Distemper every three years but the others still once a year. (Just to make sure you go back each year, I suppose). It seemed a slight admission, to me, that they are not really necessary each year. Not that I think they are anyway. If you know what I mean.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Annajayne View Post
Are some vets changing their views slightly, do you think? Last time I took Eddie the vet said they only vaccinate for Distemper every three years but the others still once a year. (Just to make sure you go back each year, I suppose). It seemed a slight admission, to me, that they are not really necessary each year. Not that I think they are anyway. If you know what I mean.
Yes, I know completely what you mean, and I agree. Our vet is completely cool about Tai not having any vaccinations at all. When we took the decision with Hal, she explained to us all the risks, along with all the good points, and completely accepted that we had decided not to vaccinate any more ever again. I think vets are mellowing somewhat though over the completely ridiculous and unnecessary viewpoint IMO that it is necessary to vaccinate annually, which is good news.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >