Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Koda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2010, 12:09 PM

Separation Anxiety? sorry, long.

Hi guys, so alot of you know we got Koda when he was very young, we were told 8 weeks but the vets insisted he was only about 4....

Anyway, ever since we brought him home, hes lived with me, my parents and younger sister, he also saw my ex-OH as his "pack" i think as he was very involved from day one too. However, we split when Koda was about 1 ish and hes never showed signs of missing him/pining so that was fine

I've always been with Koda, and i know it sounds sad, i still to this day take him everywhere possibly with me, which annoys my OH but hes like my baby!

About 5 months ago i moved out of home to live with OH - and then found out i was pregnant.

But our flat is literally 5mins walk away and i see Koda Every single day for at least 4-5hours as i'm not working, so i always walk him, not my parents. He also comes and spends some nights with us at the flat, maybe once a week which he enjoys.

The problem i'm having is that until i get to my parents house every morning (usually i'l get there between 7-9am) but for example the other day i had a midwife appt and i got there at 10.30am which was unavoidable - He won't eat a thing and my mum wakes up around 6ish, feeds all the animals, but until i'm physically there he won't touch anything not even ham,(hams his favourite) he just sulks in a corner.

The other day when i was late to him, he was stupidly excited to see me, then mum informed he'd made himself sick because of not eating (which he has done a few times)

and as soon as hes said hello to me, within about 5 minutes hes straight to his food bowl munching away!

He will be coming to live with us soon (we're getting a house in 3 weeks ish time) so we'll move him over slowly but eventually permanently.

Is this a form of seperation anxiety? I feel so bad knowing he wont eat if im not there, it really is awful, which is why i make it my duty to be there every single day without fail and spend lots of quality time with him.

He'll be 2 in a few months time, and in the 5months i've lived away from home its never helped, roll on 3 weeks is all i can say!!
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2010, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't worry that he isn't eating whilst you are not there.

He is eating everyday so I wouldn't see it as such a big problem. When he does eat - does he eat all his food straight away, or is it left down for him?

Perhaps he just isn't that hungry?

Maybe he is just excited at the prospect of your arrival and his excitment makes him forget he is hungry? I would be the same if Hugh Jackman had promised to come round!

mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2010, 03:53 PM
hes assoicated you with eating, so he dosent think he can eat without you there. stop trying, it wont hurt him to miss a meal s & when, & he will get more stressed with pressure to eat
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Max won't eat if I'm not there. He won't eat if he is in a strange place (even if I am there). He won't eat if his bowl is in the 'wrong' place (even if I'm there).

We left the boys with their breeder for about 48hrs in June - Max refused his food and treats the whole time

I'm not sure that its SA with him, or he is just overly 'sensitive'