Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morcam123
New Member!
Male 

10-11-2017, 03:54 AM

Vizla in trouble tonight

hello looking for help on a vizla named (Juvy ) not sure of what is going on , help please , have a vizla around 9 year old very active , yesterday I noticed around 8 pm that juvy had a swollen left front elbow , well looked at it and it seemed like either he got a bite from a snake or a spider , has a bruise size of a dollar coin with blistering on the center , in the morning around 10 he looked a lot better walking on the leg and up and active but around 6 pm his swelling was very big not walking and the overall not felling good , I have been looking at some internet pics but still don't have an idea of what could had happened , will be posting pics if anybody has seen something like this I would appreciate your input , thanks for your time .
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	5788  
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2017, 08:42 AM
You need a vet to look at him.

It's impossible to tell from a photograph what it is and even looking at him, a non-professional would only be guessing.

If it is a poisonous bite, he needs treatment quickly
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Definitely, see a vet.
curious
New Member!
Female 

20-11-2017, 07:58 PM
Definitely take him to a vet. If it's a bite then they'll be able to give him the proper meds and if it's a soft tissue injury then they'll be able to help out with inflammation. You don't want him in pain and definite red flags at the swelling. I recently went through a situation where my toy poodles hind legs were suddenly swollen and while we're still not sure what it is the vet has him on antibiotics, so now he's doing much better.
morcam123
New Member!
Male 

23-11-2017, 12:48 PM
hello , just wanted to report back to you all , took Juvy to the doctor next morning and it was a brown recluse spider that bit him on the joint doctor had experience in this area and explain it is not common they are very passive spiders but Juvy must had sat on it and got bit , the venom traveled down to the lower part of the leg he was in danger of loosing his life or a leg for 48 hours but by the work of the doctor and staff it was all to the best outcome , doctor installed three drains on this leg left the wound completely open its big around two inches wide (nasty) and 4 days later he was back home , before coming home doctor removed the drains and gave instructions couple of pills a day and a spray to put on the wound at least 6 times a day the more the better he said , its being a couple of weeks and the big opening has been getting smaller and smaller , he is very active I'm not letting him go to the pond or spend a lot of time out on the farm but do allow him to do exercise , for the most part he stays on the garage , wound is ugly and scary but doctor says he will be fine , thanks for your comments and time , hope this helps other folks , the bite occurred an afternoon next day it was swollen that's when I notice and 24 hours later it was incredibly swollen notice it had like a dime size of small watery blisters , hot on the affected area but the dog looked good otherwise never suspected he was in danger , in few weeks ill report back , he should be doing great , thanks
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by morcam123 View Post
hello , just wanted to report back to you all , took Juvy to the doctor next morning and it was a brown recluse spider that bit him on the joint doctor had experience in this area and explain it is not common they are very passive spiders but Juvy must had sat on it and got bit , the venom traveled down to the lower part of the leg he was in danger of loosing his life or a leg for 48 hours but by the work of the doctor and staff it was all to the best outcome , doctor installed three drains on this leg left the wound completely open its big around two inches wide (nasty) and 4 days later he was back home , before coming home doctor removed the drains and gave instructions couple of pills a day and a spray to put on the wound at least 6 times a day the more the better he said , its being a couple of weeks and the big opening has been getting smaller and smaller , he is very active I'm not letting him go to the pond or spend a lot of time out on the farm but do allow him to do exercise , for the most part he stays on the garage , wound is ugly and scary but doctor says he will be fine , thanks for your comments and time , hope this helps other folks , the bite occurred an afternoon next day it was swollen that's when I notice and 24 hours later it was incredibly swollen notice it had like a dime size of small watery blisters , hot on the affected area but the dog looked good otherwise never suspected he was in danger , in few weeks ill report back , he should be doing great , thanks
Excellent result!
morcam123
New Member!
Male 

13-12-2017, 05:48 AM
hello again , just to inform you all on the results for future reference to folks that come in contact with a brown recluse , Juvy is doing great the big flesh opening has completely closed and healed , he is back to his own self using all 15 acres of pasture , thanks for all of your time and hope this unfortunate experience helps and give hopes to pet owners that come to be in the same position , thanks