Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 07:19 AM

Joint supplement for young dog?

For a while now I have noticed that when I have been taking Flower out for walks, her running gait appears fine (she normally flies everywhere... ) But her walk seems a little stiff. She is a crossbreed as you know and when I look at her from behind she has always had feet that stick outwards. She doesnt seem bothered by this, but she is only just a year old.. and I don't want it to get worse...

I dont take her for really long or excessive walks, she has 2 or 3 shorter walks through the day.

Is there a supplement anyone could recommend? She is such a bouncy lively dog who will gallop everywhere as fast as she can...all the time! I would hate her to get problems at such an early age.

Any advice much appreciated.

xxxx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 07:21 AM
I would first get her knees and hips checked by a vet before putting on any supplements. Over supplementation can cause it's own set of problems.
Becky
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 07:33 AM
Thanks Becky I will. Do you know how they check them? Do they just have a feel or do they do tests? xx
puremagic*
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2008, 08:15 AM
If your vet suggests it could be arthritis I would give her a glucosamine supplement. I use it myself and have one of my horses on it.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by puremagic* View Post
If your vet suggests it could be arthritis I would give her a glucosamine supplement. I use it myself and have one of my horses on it.

Thank you, I will get her booked in and see what they say x
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by flowisp View Post
Thank you, I will get her booked in and see what they say x
Here is an article on Glucomamine... it will explain the benefits and the right strength to give.

Always look for HC1..strength.

I give Bandit Glucosamine he has HD and Spondylosis... it does help... also take it myself (for old age)

http://www.glucosamine-osteoarthriti...-for-dogs.html