Our sister sites
Our sister sites
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 12:52 PM

sam growling at housemate......

hi there,

my housemate has just rang me to say he was gonna take sam and bronte out for a walk. i was a bit surprised as he really doesn't have a lot to do with the dogs (even though bronte is technically his - my housemate is actually my ex but we still house-share - long story!). anyway to cut a long story short he was putting them in the car and sam started growling at him. he has done this to me on occasion so i either just ignore him and walk away, growl back at him, or say 'dont you dare' in a low growly voice. this normally works. do you think that maybe sam is doing this cos really he doesn't see david as anybody special or have any respect for him as a leader, or something more sinister? not quite sure what to think at the mo. david said he didnt bare his teeth, snap or wrinkle his lips, he just growled. or is it simply that he doesnt like david? (cant say i blame him there
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 01:37 PM
not sure to be honest - however would think he probably isnt too keen if he doesnt have much to do with him. but in saying that sometimes bruno growls when he is excited too....
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Could be that Sam is telling David it's time to move on.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Depending on the circumstance, growling is a dogs way of explaining they feel uncomfortable mentally or physically about something .. there are exceptions such as Rotties who growl in chat, that sort of thing

It's impossible to tell over t'net, but, I'd say it's best to get to the bottom of why he's doing it ... but don't tell him off because its his communicatoin and if you take that away, without getting to the bottom of it, he may snap instead (depending on the problem) :smt001

Wys
x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2007, 09:12 AM
my housemate has just rang me to say he was gonna take sam and bronte out for a walk. i was a bit surprised as he really doesn't have a lot to do with the dogs (even though bronte is technically his - my housemate is actually my ex but we still house-share - long story!). anyway to cut a long story short he was putting them in the car and sam started growling at him. he has done this to me on occasion so i either just ignore him and walk away, growl back at him, or say 'dont you dare' in a low growly voice. this normally works. do you think that maybe sam is doing this cos really he doesn't see david as anybody special or have any respect for him as a leader, or something more sinister? not quite sure what to think at the mo. david said he didnt bare his teeth, snap or wrinkle his lips, he just growled. or is it simply that he doesnt like david? (cant say i blame him there
Hi Springergirl If Sam ever growls at you again note the circumstances, were you touching a certain area of his body/doing something in particular. If you note it you can see if there is a pattern and take avoiding action,as Wys says never grumble at Sam for telling you something isn't right with him.

I have always found the main reasons dogs give warning growls are fear/pain/associating circumstances with previous events.

As Sam is a rescue and you are not aware of his past it could be that at some time someone was loading him in the car and hurt him in some way..or perhaps he has a tender or sore spot at the moment that David touched.
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2007, 07:26 AM
thanks for your replies. yes i will take note of when sam does growl. as some of you have said he is a rescue and there could be associations with his past. or he may well be tender or sore. i will try not to tell him off for growling though, cos as you have said its his communication tool and if i take that away he could well just snap.