View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 06:25 PM
I understand that a dogs bones do not finish growing until the dog is around 28 months, so it stand to reason the heavier the dog the more care that must be taken. The 5 min rule is a good guide but do not over exercise any dog, whatever size, under 12 months.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 07:51 PM
I've just had two lots of hipscores back at 7/6 and 5/6 which is a lot lower than the breed average so we're really pleased.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 06:19 AM
You must be pleased but why hide your good new in this thread about bone and joint damage?
Cossack
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2006, 07:24 AM
I think each breed has different needs and if not sure you need to check with the breed club for that particular breed.
German shepherds have problems with hips and should not be over exercised under 12 months, which is something we were told at a training club, so as to allow them their joints to develop fully.
Siberian Huskies start gentle training anywhere from 6 months old as they develop more quickly, but again all in moderation.
I once saw a small German Shepherd puppy about 4 months old being dragged around by the child owner, with mummy looking on lovingly, and even when the puppy tried to lie down and sleep the child dragged it up and off again. Not a peep out of Mum! She was heard later in the day to comment on how she hoped this puppy would work out better as they had to put their last one down for hip problems! I left before I could do what was upper most in my mind at the time - not lady like at all!!
Most breed clubs are more than helpful for those not sure and it is always better to ask if in doubt.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Hard to believe I know but no matter what size the dog it's bones grow at the same speed. The only difference is that a light or small dog can cope with problems or mal-development of its bones or joints, however it is a good idea to make sure no dog is over exercised until it is fully developed which is, believe it or not, after it is 2 years old. Exercise for the dog should be slowly increased in the same way we do with children or adults taking up an exercise or sport that their body is not accustomed too.
laura1
New Member!
Female 

16-08-2006, 12:20 PM
My bullmastiff is 18 weeks now on sat, my other dog zeus which is a rottweiller is very good with him but they are both racing around chasing each other I do worry about his bones would that affect his bones or is it just walking them too fahr? that they shouldnt do. Does any one know about this?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Usually in their own home pups don't over do things but a Rottie is a big dog and interaction should be supervised.
Ink
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
It's critical in Dalmatians, there is one I know which was exercised 6 hours a day as a puppy and he now has a front like a Bulldog with elbows out and feet pointing at each other. He is likely to suffer arthritis later.
There is a lot of soft tissue and joints that can be damaged. It's not just to do with size/weight, but how quickly the breed matures. Dalmatians are not grown up physically until they are 2.
A bit of a difference between a 1 hour walk and 6 hours worth of walks in a day, don't you think?

Of course people should take care to keep their pup away from too many stairs and too much asphalt, and not over exercise it, but if a dog gets arthritis or hip dysplasia from walking up and down a stair once a week, then it's going to get arthritis and hip dysplasia no matter what you do.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-11-2012, 10:20 AM
*** Please note this thread is 6 years old
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Ink View Post

Of course people should take care to keep their pup away from too many stairs and too much asphalt, and not over exercise it, but if a dog gets arthritis or hip dysplasia from walking up and down a stair once a week, then it's going to get arthritis and hip dysplasia no matter what you do.
Dogs do not "get"Hip Dysplasia it is partially genetic, the same goes for arthritis/

It is the growth plates that get damaged with too much "forced"exercise(ie walking on a lead)a puppy will naturally rest when tired when playing or off lead, but when on lead it has no option other than to keep walking
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >