Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 09:06 AM
[QUOTE=chaz;1991654]I see, I also saw that thread after writing that post

When I was volunteering at a staffy rescue there was one girl there whose sister got 2nd BOB at crufts, from what I know the breeder knew she was there, but then that was just one girl, the rest of them were lovely dogs, but not with such good breeding.

See, thats why I would go to a rescue that specilises in what type of dog I want, I want someone who understands better, its also why if heaven forbid Honey and Diesel had to be rehomed I would send them to a Lurcher rescue, prefably one that fosters them before rehoming them.[/QUOTE]

you wouldnt home them directly yourself?
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Seriously, don't know why people are arguing about breed specific rescues and non breed specific rescues at the end of the day it is a dog no matter the breed the ethics of the rescue centre, the previous owners, breeders etc
They are in there, they need a home, some will not get a home and may be pts or live their life out in a shelter if it is a no kill shelter.
The point is it is a dog that has no home.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
If you take the Boxer /GDS/ Staffie and the Yorkie on the second page, I would hardly say the first 3 pages are 50% purebred. most look like staffie crosses and so on,

Woodgreen, again on the 4 pages it shows , 1 Boxer, 1 GSD and the rest crossbreeds (the usual ) staffie and grey hound types!!

So I guess its down to your definition of pure bred, because looking through that site, most are not!!
to be fair.... bdh is full of unpapered pedigrees sibes and akitas are on the uprise (not counting the unpapered sbt's not the crosses)
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
Seriously, don't know why people are arguing about breed specific rescues and non breed specific rescues at the end of the day it is a dog no matter the breed the ethics of the rescue centre, the previous owners, breeders etc
They are in there, they need a home, some will not get a home and may be pts or live their life out in a shelter if it is a no kill shelter.
The point is it is a dog that has no home.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
"greyhound types". lol

There are greyhounds, Jack Russel Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers aplenty along with the other purebreds that you mentioned at Woodgreen. The centre describes about 55% of the dogs listed as mixed or cross breed and the others it lists as one particular breed or another.
I just want to say something about Greyhound types, I understand where JB is coming from, I have a Lurcher and Longdog that many people think are Greyhounds, on the 20th of this month I took Diesel (Lurcher) to a Greyhound walk where Lurchers were allowed, no-one out of the walk, where there was over 20 dogs (not sure whether it was 23/26) reconisged him as a Lurcher, even when the organiser came round and I was talking to the only other Lurcher there she said 'I had to come over to see him because I like Lurchers' talking about the other Lurcher, it wasn't until I said something that she knew then that Diesel wasn't a Greyhound, apparently he shows a lot of traits (his personality is very Greyhound, apart from being it seems even more prey driven, and will sniff out and listen to animals too, out of all the dogs there he was also the only one to take notice of a pheasent calling and go to the edge of the group and look for it, he was onlead though all of the other dogs were more concered about making friends, all of them apart from the other Lurcher were x racers too), but with his traits, and this was something I had never heard about before, he can also lay his ears flat against his head, something which the organiser said was a way of telling which dog was a Greyhound and which was a Lurcher, as Lurchers aren't apparently meant to be able to do this. Also apart from that I think that only one person, yes one who has met him has come up and asked if he was a Lurcher, I've also had 'I used to have a dog like that, but he was a Lurcher'

So it wouldn't surprise me because of his type and traits that he would be put down as a Greyhound, but he isn't, but because of his looks, temperment, etc he could be classed as a Greyhound 'type'.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
When I was volunteering at a staffy rescue there was one girl there whose sister got 2nd BOB at crufts, from what I know the breeder knew she was there, but then that was just one girl, the rest of them were lovely dogs, but not with such good breeding.
Hi Chaz, what does this mean?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
I see, I also saw that thread after writing that post

See, thats why I would go to a rescue that specilises in what type of dog I want, I want someone who understands better, its also why if heaven forbid Honey and Diesel had to be rehomed I would send them to a Lurcher rescue, prefably one that fosters them before rehoming them.
you wouldnt home them directly yourself?
Its all hypothetical, but I would aproach the rescue for advice honestly, they know what to look for and are experienced in rehoming dogs, the ones I would approach experienced in rehoming dogs like thim, but because of things people have said to me about Honey, I wouldn't be very trusting that she wouldn't get into the wrong hands, I would be too worried about being played, and getting it wrong, plus no-one would be good enough for them so I would approach them for advice, if it was a desperate thing I would want them to go into a foster home, if I could I would keep them with me, and want to ask a new home loads of questions myself, but I know then that I would also have the experience of someone who has loads of experience in that sort of thing, who could help find them a good home.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Hi Chaz, what does this mean?
From what I was told by the person who ran it the dogs sister (also litter sister) was a show dog, and came in second in a best of breed class at crufts, or reserve whatever its called. I think I was meant to put the o as little lol.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 06:04 PM
See, thats why I would go to a rescue that specilises in what type of dog I want, I want someone who understands better, its also why if heaven forbid Honey and Diesel had to be rehomed I would send them to a Lurcher rescue, prefably one that fosters them before rehoming them.
I would always go to a breed rescue to or littledogrescue who do a great job and have a few cresteds go through them, I like to support anything involved in cresteds and would rather give them the donation fee that a bigger branch.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by chaz
When I was volunteering at a staffy rescue there was one girl there whose sister got 2nd BOB at crufts, from what I know the breeder knew she was there, but then that was just one girl, the rest of them were lovely dogs, but not with such good breeding

From what I was told by the person who ran it the dogs sister (also litter sister) was a show dog, and came in second in a best of breed class at crufts, or reserve whatever its called. I think I was meant to put the o as little lol.
I think you have that a bit wrong Chaz!!
Page 10 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 >