Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

28-03-2005, 08:54 AM

An eclectic taste in Dogs

Hi All

Took this picture yesterday in Bushey Park. One of the excellent Royal Parks near Hampton Court Palace where Henry the 8th used to live.

The park is full of wildlife, including a massive herd of deer including reds and fallow which are the direct descendents of the deer that old Henry used to hunt. This park is walking distance from my house.

He would hunt from here right up to what is now the middle of London, in fact one of the best spots to hunt was Soho, the red light district in London. Soho was the hunting cry when a stag got up, and was the original cry before Tallyho.

I am lucky I also have this plus Richmond and Home Park all enormous Royal Parks within about a 5 mile radius.

In the picture from left to right is Edward, Tess, (who is just staying with us for a while) Kai and Charlie.

I have a rather eclectic taste in dogs.

Stan
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Gorgeous! what a stunning mix, the leo is soo adorable!
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-03-2005, 09:01 AM
Great pic Stan, its not very often you get a good photo with all 4 dogs looking at the camera and keeping still,.................I know I'm still trying
pete
Almost a Veteran

28-03-2005, 09:04 AM
nice pic stan ,looks like charlie is the cheeky one.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 09:25 AM
i hope one of yuour top tips is going to be how to get a dog to pose for a pic as you seem to be able to do it! mine legs it when he sees the camera! lovely dogs! my son is jealous as he loves everything to do with henry VIII
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

28-03-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by pete
nice pic stan ,looks like charlie is the cheeky one.
You are spot on there he is a marvelous little dog but with a very sad background.

He is Jack Russell cross Dachund, a stretched Limo Jack if you like. When I first met him he had been severely abused. He had been so badly injured by its owners "back legs and all its ribs broken" that he was badly traumatised. On top of that his brother was killed by them. The RSPCA said they did not have enough evidence to prosecute as the owners claimed all the injuries were accidents.

However the Vets showed me X Rays and all the ribs had been systematically broken at least three times over a period from the age of 4 months onwards, in the end after lots of negotiations and threats the owners agreed to sign over the dog to one of the nurses in the Vets, and along with all the rest of her menagerie stayed with her for a while whilst it convalesced.

They apparently couldn't use the X-Rays as evidence as the owners had paid for them and therefore owned them? "Madness" all because of the Data Protection Act, what a bloody stupid law that can see an animal systematically tortured whilst upholding the rights of the perpetrators. It makes my blood boil.

I was asked by the practice to assess him to see if it would be possible to rehome such a traumatised dog. When I heard his story from the Vets I decided to rehome him with me. Charlie has now fully recovered and is ruling the roost over my other dogs. He has incredible resilience and guts and is a real character I don't know anyone who hasn't said that they would love to take him home, he has an amazing personality. But I would never rehome him, he is with me for life now. His one dowmside is he cries if I don't take him with me. I think it is a trust thing he is confident when I am there but harks back to the abuse if I am not around.

This is another one of him.

Stan
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

28-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Poor Charlie - what a sad story how can people be so cruel - its good to hear he now has a great home with you - I liked the picture of all your other dogs they look great.

I didn't know that Soho was named after a hunting call and they used to hunt there - are the deer in Bushey Park wild or are they kept?
Carole
Supervisor

28-03-2005, 09:52 AM
lovely dogs :smt049
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 09:58 AM
stunning dogs
Annestaff
Supervisor

28-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Thats such a sad story Stan, I'm glad you never gave up on him and he's now a happy chappy rulig the rooste
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >