View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-10-2012, 01:24 AM
The amount of Mal crosses for sale right now was a suprise...just a quick look and you can have a working Mali x Rottie pup for250 quid ... Easy to see why they end up in the wrong hands...
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-10-2012, 01:42 AM
You knew I would google that didn't you Murf? (I can't help but look at these sorts of crosses!)

Guess what - saw a different litter by the look of it... £100 !!! (Ebbw Vale ad)
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-10-2012, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Sending support, and sincerely wish I had that magic wand....
Me too

Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
It's a mess and it's going to be a bigger mess. And I really don't know how it can be addressed
It's very worrying - and I definitely think raising the topic was a good though, even if to raise awareness.
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2012, 06:00 AM
thank you all and especially to Sharp and Stumpywop for practical support particularly for the Shutzhund club contacts that may be able to help with finding the right homes - and Sue ( Merlins mum) I love you !!- you've managed to hit the nail on the head with your posts ( and without getting over emotional like me ! ) -

I don't want to treat Malinois any differently than the other three varieties - they are all BSD and we are BSD rescue - but I simply don't know how feasibile that ethos is going to be in the future
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Would you say Mal x GSD...

Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2012, 03:29 PM
No idea but I love those ears.......
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
No idea but I love those ears.......
Dobby ears ..
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2012, 03:38 PM
When I met my first Malinois (bringing a puppy back from Selby for Lancashire Police dog section) 11 years ago, this breed was relatively rare (as a working dog at least). Now, many more people recognise Malis and they have become popular.

Unfortunately, popularity of a breed also usually equals backyard breeders, excessive breeding and inexperienced/ignorant buyers. Not a good combination. The Malinois is not the first breed for this to happen to, nor will it be the last Very sad for all concerned - especially the dogs who will end up suffering.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2012, 05:57 PM
I agree with Wys that there are some times when to euthanise the dogs isn't always the worst option. If the Malinois rescues are limited in resources they really can only do so much and if they have to take on entire litters will that "breeder" have learnt from the experience or repeat the breeding because they've been given the space?

A glance in the local paper shows 2 ads: one for a 6 month old Mailnois bitch, had basic obedience and ball drive, ready to go £200 and a litter of BEDLINGTON x Belgian Shepherd pups, £125-150. WHY WHY??

I find it appalling and like others don't know the answer but if only these idiots could be called to account for the fallout they create.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Most of the adverts do mention ball drive and tug drive dont they ....
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >