View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2011, 04:16 PM

Loose tooth - feeling bad for my boy !!!

im feeling quite guilty at the moment my 4 year old has shiny white teeth no plaque at all. i have always added supplement to his water etc to keep them in the best possible condition.while i was brushing them today (this is not done as much as id like he hates it) i noticed one of his lower teeth was wobbling i had noticed a few days earlier his mouth bleeding when playing fetch with his ball but thought hed just knocked himself.hes also obsessed with his boomer ball was wondering could his vigorous boomer ball playing resulted in the loose tooth.at the mo ive banned all ball games and we are off to the vets thursday anyone have experience like this will he need the tooth removed do you think also would that mean a general anaesthetic as he only had one in dec for a histyocytoma and would rather not put him through another so soon many thanks to any replies
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 04:23 PM
i have always added supplement to his water etc to keep them in the best possible condition.

What supplement is this?
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2011, 04:39 PM
its from pets at home its called liquid oral care
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Oh poor boy but accidents happen

Hopefully it will be OK
My only experience was with Mia but hers was a little more dramatic
A dog attacked her and she had blood poring from her mouth
One of her lower canines was stuck at a strange angle

Vets had us wait a week till all the puncture wounds and lamness healed up a bit and then the tooth had to be removed

- I had hoped there was something they could do, but in reality it was a pretty easy op, and she isnt any the worse for loosing the tooth - she is still my pretty girl
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Hi Kat I have had a dog which lost a tooth (front bottom) which eventually fell out .
The main problem with losing a tooth is other teeth tend to migrate because there is nothing to prop them up.

If the tooth is not causing any pain the vet may leave it alone, it may settle down again on its own.

I have to say I am not a fan of supplements from pet shops (though I have used Logic Gel from the vet), if a dog has a good diet and the teeth are cleaned they should be ok.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 07:24 PM
The tooth may settle down, with no need for removal - however if it does need to come out then try not to worry too much because the anaesthetic will be very light indeed, and may even just be a sedative if the tooth is VERY loose.

Our little dog is missing several teeth..........it gives him character!!!