View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kcggnbambi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2010, 04:10 AM

Adopting a rescued Rottweiler, advice needed for a smooth transition into the family.

Our family consists of my husband and I, two little boys, a beautiful rescued Pointer (8yo)and some crazy Weeros.

As we recently lost my baby George (14yo, maltese australian silky X), we decided to provide a home and family for another dog. Our first rescue has been a phenomenal sucess, so we decided to do that again. I thought that with 2 boys under 2 a big dog was a better option than a terrier. We do a lot of outdoors activity and exercise, and I am a stay at home mum so am around the house all day so the dogs have plenty of company, exercise and stimulation.

After checking out a number or rescue sites I found and fell for Bruce, a 6yo Rottweiler. He has a history of neglect, and some issues with men, so he has possibly been abused. We have met him a number of times and he was won over by my husband immediately, although he did have a big bark the first time he saw him, and it was very clear that Bruce was afraid, not agressive.

He gets along famously with my children, and even extended family members who were at first frightened by the stereotype of Rottweilers.

My main concern is our Pointer Feanics. He is well behaved and docile. We had him desexed a few months back so that we could introduce him to another male. But since the loss of our little dog George he has become very protective of me and the children. This was an issue the first time we met with Bruce but doesnt seem to be a problem now.

Feanics previously has never shown any aggression towards or even much interest in other dogs. But at the minute when I'm walking him he seems to have a growl at any dogs who try to show him any dominance, although he doesn't seem to want to be dominant to others, if that makes sense.

I am concerned that perhaps he is feeling a bit threatened by another dog coming in. They have gotten on increasingly well, but unfortunately Bruce doesn't seem to know how to play, and Feanics misreads Bruce's attempts to play and they have a growl and scrabble, but come apart as soon as I say anything. I am confident that I can control them, but I don't really know how to teach them to play together.

When Bruce eventually moves in, is this likely to be a problem? The rescue group recommended Jan Fennell books, which I have read and don't really have a problem with, but I really need more info and don't know where to start looking. I have ordered a few books on Rottweilers that should arrive any day now.

Most of all, I don't want them to hurt each other. I think they will be manageable, but I want them to both be happy and relaxed.

Any advice or information or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Even if you think I'm mad to be taking the new one on like this please say so as I am in need of a bit of objective opinion.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 08:11 AM
When I read your post I was really touched by the care & concern you're showing to all your dogs & family & how understanding you are of the dogs' problems. Well done for taking on a rescue dog, especially a rottie, as they seem to have had such bad press & can be such lovely loyal & calm dogs..

You seem to be doing everything right as far as I can tell, doing the introductions slowly, getting the dogs used to each other in different circumstances etc. I take it that Bruce hasn't yet moved in with you?

Firstly could I say that Jan Fennell's ideas on dog behaviour & her concept of "ami-chien" bonding have absolutely no scientific basis at all ~ it's just a catchy name for old & discredited theories on dog behaviour that no longer bear up to scientific scrutiny. There are far better books on dog behaviour & training, such as Turid Rudgras's "Calming Signals" or anything by Karen Pryor on clicker training, or try the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellor's website at www.apbc.org.uk. They have some good articles & advice on dog behaviour.

It sounds like Feanics may be a bit anxious about the recent changes in his life (the loss of George, the loss of his "manhood", meeting Bruce) so you may need to spend some time reassuring Feanics that all is well & sticking to a predictable routine with him as far as possible. Allow Feanics & Bruce a bit of time & space to sort things out between them. Don't reprimand Feanics for telling Bruce off, only intervene if they go further than a growl or snarl, & then just try to quietly & gently remove one of the dogs from the situation.

Make sure that both dogs perceive that there are plenty of the things they value to go around. If that means toys, chews, comfy sleeping places, whatever ~ provide lots to start with so there's no reason to squabble. You can always remove any excess later when they've settled down.

I'm sure others will have some helpful advice, but best of luck with Bruce ~ I hope all goes well & I look forward to hearing how it goes.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Congratulations on taking this dog on. You sound very capable and I`m sure he`ll have a lovely life.
Just one thing - ignore Jan Fennel! Her theories are based on discredited ideas of pack leadership. They simply don`t work.
A good book which explains modern thinking on dog behaviour is Jean Donaldson`s The Culture Clash, which should be given away free with every dog.
I have a nervy neutered male and brought in an entire male. They are fine. To start with you will need to keep an eye on them and not leave things around like bones or special toys which they might argue over.
I find a new dog either charges in with bags of bluster and gets firmly put in his place, or else (more usually) keeps his head down for the first few weeks to find out what is best to do.
As long as both dogs have space to retreat from each other, and you stick to your routine and make the rules clear and kind, it should be fine.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Congratulations on taking this dog on. You sound very capable and I`m sure he`ll have a lovely life.
Just one thing - ignore Jan Fennel! Her theories are based on discredited ideas of pack leadership. They simply don`t work.
A good book which explains modern thinking on dog behaviour is Jean Donaldson`s The Culture Clash, which should be given away free with every dog.
I have a nervy neutered male and brought in an entire male. They are fine. To start with you will need to keep an eye on them and not leave things around like bones or special toys which they might argue over.
I find a new dog either charges in with bags of bluster and gets firmly put in his place, or else (more usually) keeps his head down for the first few weeks to find out what is best to do.
As long as both dogs have space to retreat from each other, and you stick to your routine and make the rules clear and kind, it should be fine.
We seem to be on the same wave length here, esp on JF's ideas!

The only thing we've not said the same about is toys & chews. But I agree ~ either don't leave ANY around to cause squabbles, or lots, so that there's no need to be possessive or guard them.
kcggnbambi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I've just ordered online some of the books suggested. Hopefully they will arrive soon so I can have a good read before Bruce moves in!
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Brilliant that you're getting another rescue. I'm sure it will all work out.
Just another hand up for Turid Rugas' Calming Signals book - it was lent to me by krusewalker and I've read it about 3 times. I can read situations and understand my rescue dog, Bear, so much better now. And I also think I can communicate what I mean to my dogs much better as well. I find I have this amazing ability to alleviate their stress just by doing some simple things!

And forget allll about the pack theories so often in training and behaviour books. I used to wonder why they never worked and now I'm horrified that I ever went in for that!

Best of luck with Bruce. Also want to reiterate what has been said about the nice things ... have had altercations here over bones and the like ... although I've found replacing them with numerous nylabones has worked well in still allowing them to chew and let out a bit of frustration that way without having something so brilliant they fight over it!

I'm so pleased to see a rottie getting such a good home. They really do have such an ill-deserved bad rep!