Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bongo's_handler
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2017, 08:57 PM

Should I wrestle with my dog?

Hi all,

One of my favorite ways to play with my 60 pound Boxer mix is to get down on the floor and wrestle with him. He understands that I am the alpha and I make the rules, so when I do cave in and play with him I tell him "Okay, Bongo, let's play!" When I'm done, I tell him "That's enough" and he stops biting and rolling around instantly. However, I have read that it's not good to play fight with your dog, and I would really appreciate additional experiences or facts. It makes him really happy when I start wrestling with him, but if it's damaging my authority over him then I'll stop.

Thanks in advance!!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by bongo's_handler View Post
I have read that it's not good to play fight with your dog
What idiot wrote that Could it have been that egocentric muppet Cesar Milan

Just remember not to let your dog get too excted, the more you 'play' the more excited they will become and it might be your dog thinks he can become the pack leader and you need to be 'disciplined'
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-03-2017, 09:51 PM
I've always wrestled with my dogs without any issues,You teach them the rules and as long as they stick to them what's the problem?
Problems arise when the dogs don't understand what's expected of them.
Just end all play with a command, I use " Enough" and everything stops instantly.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2017, 11:49 PM
Play is a wonderful teacher. Your dog has learned that when you say stop, then the game is ended. Nothing to do with being the boss, or the pack leader nonsense, just plain old fashioned play and a dog learning when enough is enough

There are so many myths around dog training and what is and isn't acceptable. Play creates a bond and a learning experience.
bongo's_handler
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-03-2017, 12:54 PM
Egocentric muppet oh my god I love it ��
It was a different training book that also said not to chase your dog if they take a sock or something, which I know is true. I wasn't so sure about the play fighting part, so I thought I might as well ask around if they were right about chasing.
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-03-2017, 09:59 PM
I used to wrestle with my female, now when I do that my male puppy runs in and forbids this, as her will not let her growl at me even in play. As for your question most dogs are fine to wrestle with
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2017, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Play is a wonderful teacher. Your dog has learned that when you say stop, then the game is ended. Nothing to do with being the boss, or the pack leader nonsense, just plain old fashioned play and a dog learning when enough is enough

There are so many myths around dog training and what is and isn't acceptable. Play creates a bond and a learning experience.
Absolutely agree with Chris. Dogs do need to learn boundaries and need leadership from their owner - but nothing to do with being the "alpha" or "boss".

Play is a wonderful way to bond with your dog and to build focus for learning.