View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 09:04 PM

Help - Bloody mucus in poo (update at post 29)

I've worked myself up into a right panic after mentioning in another post that Tilly has blood in her runny poo today.
I didn't even know what parvo was & now I've read about it I'm worried even more (especially as it's Saturday night)
I can call the RSPCA tommorrow, but the vets are on constant engage tonight.
(9 weeks old - had her for 3 days)
She is bright & alert.
She won't eat her Purina food but ate chicken & rice for tea. (and pinched some cat food earlier)
she's drinking plenty & weeing
The poo is runny and the blood is in mucus & fresh light coloured
It smells (don't they all) - but not gagging stink
She had CPV vaccination on 31/12
She was wormed on 9/1.

Should I stop panicking and wait until tommorrow when I can speak to someone?
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2009, 09:43 PM
me agian...dont panic.call tomarrow..the blood in the poo for mine was there 4 days after treatment....and quite common....i feel your panic ....not so easy to relax im sure ...phil
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2009, 10:02 PM
I don't want to panick you but a pup of mine was like this I would get here to the vet as soon as you can tomorrow. Little Jude went very quite and had bloody poo the vet thought she had parvo. In actual fact she had somthing called coccidiousis. She was on a drip for a week and had to have tests for all sorts first for parvo which was negative. Even now 5 months later we do not know what caused it she had been of colour for a couple of days before shewas really sick. Just seemed quite and not really eating well which we put down to very hot weather we were having at the time.

Once they found out what was wrong with her it was easily treated with antibiotics and she is fine now. We were unlucky the vet said it was very rare in dogs it usually shows up a blood in the poo for a few days then they are over it . We just had the one that reacted badly to the bug.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Try not to panic it is hard not to though I still do now. When our 2 girls were pups they had blood in here poo and it was very runny and had mucus and I was so worried, I lived in that vets . But pups are like it as they are getting use to new food and having been wormed there poor body goes though it.
I found every time I wormed thm they were ill, to start off with it is runny poo's then as they got older they would have such a bad night up and down want ing to go out for no reason I wonder if it gives them stomach pains or something, they are ok now nut we have a pup again and it is doing the same to him.

If you are still worried in the morning or she goes down hill in the night phone the vet.

Hope it is worry over nothing but it is always good to come on here and air your thoughts, it your not sure.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi Tillymint ,you have only had the puppy for three days.It is not uncommon for small puppies to have an upset tummy when they move to a new home, even a change of water can upset them so I don't think eating the cats food will have helped.

Have you changed the food the breeder was feeding, it is best to keep puppies on the food they are used to until they settle (with the exception of feeding a starchy bland diet for an upset tummy). How many meals a day is your puppy on , she should be on 4 at the moment. Do you know when she was last wormed.

As long as she isn't vomiting as well as the diarrhoea I would not be too concerned for the first 24 hours.
The most important thing is that she is drinking so that she doesn't get dehydrated.
I would see how she is in the morning.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Take a poop sample with you to the vet - it could be collitis, I had a lab who had flare ups from time to time.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks for all you advice - I did get myself in a panic last night! she's been a few more times since & the bloody mucus has appeared only once more (a tiny bit) and something green!
I think I'll keep her from the garden today - she seems to eat anyting out there from bird poo to weeds.
She's meant to be on 4 meals a day - but not keen on the Purina which she was being fed when we got her. I did initially ring them up & was told to add water or feed on the floor as she wasn't used to a bowl - she just seems to want to eat anything except the Purina.
Will try & contact vets today (though it's Sunday) see if I can get poop tested tommorrow.

I have to say - I have 3 kids & I don't think I worried this much when they were babies! I s'pose with babies you are more naturally instinctive than with puppies!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Personally, I would change the Purina to something else but do it very gradually. I don't want your pup to believe that if she leaves her food, you'll replace it with something else, so a gradual change is always best for this reason and many more.

Pleased to hear the blood is starting to ease off. Keep a careful eye on it, and if it returns or increases, then a vet visit would be my recommendation.

Good luck!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 10:14 AM
I've spoken to the vets - they are open on Sundays! They have advised I give spoonfuls of chicken & rice every 2 hours and if any more blood appears by this afternoon to take her in - otherwise keep a close eye on her and take to local branch tommorrow if diahorea persists.
She's just woken up again and is really playful so fingers crossed!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
I've worked myself up into a right panic after mentioning in another post that Tilly has blood in her runny poo today.
I didn't even know what parvo was & now I've read about it I'm worried even more (especially as it's Saturday night)
I can call the RSPCA tommorrow, but the vets are on constant engage tonight.
just curious. why did you call RSPCA?
is that your vet or did you get pup from them?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >