View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scruffysmum
New Member!
Female 

08-11-2012, 08:48 PM
we just got our first puppy three days ago he is a Chinese crested powderpuff , the small size appealed to use because we have small children who could've easily been bounced over by a playfull large breed puppy, also bigger dog means more walking which is trickier with two kids , I do love big dogs though and might have one when the kids are much older
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by scruffysmum View Post
we just got our first puppy three days ago he is a Chinese crested powderpuff , the small size appealed to use because we have small children who could've easily been bounced over by a playfull large breed puppy, also bigger dog means more walking which is trickier with two kids , I do love big dogs though and might have one when the kids are much older
I have a 4 year old powderpuff bitch, and a 2 year old hairless boy
scruffysmum
New Member!
Female 

08-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
I have a 4 year old powderpuff bitch, and a 2 year old hairless boy
cool , this is our first dog , I love the breed though and so far our little guy is just lovely really clever too , he's already figured out toileting outside and weve only had him 3 days and he knows sit ! lol
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Everyone's already mentioned the main points such as cost so I'll just say that bigger paws = bigger pawprints. Having big dogs means mud is a constant. Since getting Gracie I've been seriously thinking of paving over most of the lawn as it's like the Somme out there.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by scruffysmum View Post
cool , this is our first dog , I love the breed though and so far our little guy is just lovely really clever too , he's already figured out toileting outside and weve only had him 3 days and he knows sit ! lol
They are great little dogs, wouldn't ever be without one, but I do like big dogs.

Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
Everyone's already mentioned the main points such as cost so I'll just say that bigger paws = bigger pawprints. Having big dogs means mud is a constant. Since getting Gracie I've been seriously thinking of paving over most of the lawn as it's like the Somme out there.
Wouldn't be an issue at mine, it's all paved. The bit of grass we have nana is killing off anyway
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Personally I find my small dog to be MUCH easier than my larger dogs. She doesn't shed, costs barely anything to feed, doesn't take up any room, doesn't smell, is completely adaptable when it comes to exercise, is easy to take anywhere, is non-intimidating, is undemanding and is a great little companion.

Obviously I still love larger dogs but for me there are more benefits in owning smalls if you want an easier life. It is something I will certainly give a lot of thought to in the future.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Personally I find my small dog to be MUCH easier than my larger dogs. She doesn't shed, costs barely anything to feed, doesn't take up any room, doesn't smell, is completely adaptable when it comes to exercise, is easy to take anywhere, is non-intimidating, is undemanding and is a great little companion.

Obviously I still love larger dogs but for me there are more benefits in owning smalls if you want an easier life. It is something I will certainly give a lot of thought to in the future.
See I think this with mine. They are truly adaptable and no trouble whatsoever. But I'd love the chance of owning a big dog.
Muskrat
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2012, 10:32 PM
I am a big dog person, but I'm not at all into giant breeds. I love rotties and I'm really warming to boxers temperament wise but couldn't cope with the slobber!

Staffies for me are the perfect compromise! They aren't too expensive to feed or medicate, they don't require much in the way of grooming at all, they are sturdy and easy to train, they fit in the bed and on the sofa, they don't take offense if we do trip over them, won't knock us over and I could easily pick them up if I needed to. They also aren't protective and are easy to bundle in the car and take anywhere!

They're not at all like little dogs, but Moss is the same height as a parsons JRT and won't get much taller, Emmie is only a couple of inches taller (discounting her ears!).

The only real con is other people's perception of them, which can be upsetting.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 11:06 PM
I really don't think you can do a pros and cons list for big vs small because each breed has it's own characteristics and it's the compatibility of the characteristics of owner and dog that makes for successful relationships.

For example, I loved my Border Collie to bits and would, if age and all its drawbacks hadn't crept up on me, had another in a shot. As it was, a small breed was much more suitable for us when my old boy left us. I now have a Border Terrier. Same larger than life character, same mischief and sense of fun, but in a smaller package that, these days, I find more manageable.

Hope that makes sense
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
I am a big dog person, but I'm not at all into giant breeds. I love rotties and I'm really warming to boxers temperament wise but couldn't cope with the slobber!

Staffies for me are the perfect compromise! They aren't too expensive to feed or medicate, they don't require much in the way of grooming at all, they are sturdy and easy to train, they fit in the bed and on the sofa, they don't take offense if we do trip over them, won't knock us over and I could easily pick them up if I needed to. They also aren't protective and are easy to bundle in the car and take anywhere!

They're not at all like little dogs, but Moss is the same height as a parsons JRT and won't get much taller, Emmie is only a couple of inches taller (discounting her ears!).

The only real con is other people's perception of them, which can be upsetting.
Boxers dont slobber ............

Maybe this is tip the scales for you
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >