Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
Why not foster then for your local (larger breed) rescue? Or a general rescue that has larger dogs?

I've grown up around large dogs (GSDs and Akitas) and given a choice, I will never change.

I can't fall over them, I can't stand on them inadvertently, regardless of size I have to pick up poo anyway so that makes no difference, everything is more expensive.

I find training GSDs quite easy but agree there is less leeway in terms of nortiness because of their size. And if anything kicks off, you certainly don't hang on. You let go and if the dog cannot help himself and sort out the problem without human intervention (you'd know within a couple of seconds, max) then you go in from a different angle. Dangerous - yes. Stupid - yes. Severe risk of getting badly hurt - yes. Have I done this before - yes. Would I do it again - yes!!

Having a dodgy leg means I have problems bending to train. So once my dogs leave puppyhood training is a lot easier for me. I can't imagine having to always bend to train, feed, attach leads onto the dogs etc.
the only issue with me fostering larger adult breeds is asbo. i just dont think it would be possible after the way he reacted to archie the pointer being here. it could maybe be an option for and old old larger breed, or tiny puppy, but i genuinely dont know how he would react to them.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 05:44 PM
If you want a try im not for from you. Come live a day in my life and see what you think.
Although i doubt your dog would be as hard work as phoebe as some of here problems are down to my lame training as a puppy
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
If you want a try im not for from you. Come live a day in my life and see what you think.
Although i doubt your dog would be as hard work as phoebe as some of here problems are down to my lame training as a puppy
thanks for the offer we get alot of big breeds in at work, and i must admit i do prefer walking them and handling them in general. i love the giant breeds. and we get a gorgeous gorgeous newfoundland in, and i have fallen well head over heels for i was thinking newfie, st bernard or great dane as my next dog
Rottie boy.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Ive owned westies all my life, and Albert my rottie is my first big dog. I must say I'm a big dog convert now,I work nights and I feel a lot better that he's there to look after my girls. I'm also more of a dog person now,it's an obsecion whereas before although I loved my dogs it wasn't the same as now. For me it's big dogs all the way.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
thanks for the offer we get alot of big breeds in at work, and i must admit i do prefer walking them and handling them in general. i love the giant breeds. and we get a gorgeous gorgeous newfoundland in, and i have fallen well head over heels for i was thinking newfie, st bernard or great dane as my next dog

Couldnt have a newfie or st bernard or any of the giant bear breeds, all that grooming really puts me off. I do love them and get excited when some come in at work untill bath day. Im board and fed up after 10 mins. A dane i would like. But im with you on the giant breeds i love them but think were going small next. Something wih a bit of atttitude like a frenchie
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-11-2012, 06:10 PM
I've got both and always have had both large and small dogs.
With big dogs everything is more expensive, from collars to beds to vet treatment. You need a bigger car to transport them,
If they become ill and collapse you need help to get them to the vets.
People see you walking down the street and cross the road to avoid you, so you need a thick skin.
If you collide then you could be seriously injured.
A big dog has a much louder bark, fine for scaring off potential intruders but not so great when your OH works nights and sleeps during the day. The neighbours are more likely to complain about noise too.
Big dogs have to be well trained in my opinion there is no leeway for bad behaviour.
Big dogs eat a lot more
Small dogs are a doddle by comparison, they are not intimidating, don't eat much, don't need that much exercise, can fit several in even a small car, crates are cheap and easily accommodated, beds are cheaper, vet treatment is cheaper, even worming tablets and flea treatment are cheaper. Landlords are far more likely to rent to someone with a small dog than a large one. Easy to pick up and transport, generally far better accepted in public spaces and public transport etc etc etc.
I have no trouble bending and training can be done sitting on the floor or with the dog on a table or whatever. You might trip over a small dog but that's preferable to being knocked flying by a big one. A small untrained, unruly dog couldn't overpower me and run amok but a large one that wasn't well trained could.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
Couldnt have a newfie or st bernard or any of the giant bear breeds, all that grooming really puts me off. I do love them and get excited when some come in at work untill bath day. Im board and fed up after 10 mins. A dane i would like. But im with you on the giant breeds i love them but think were going small next. Something wih a bit of atttitude like a frenchie
i love grooming dogs hair isnt an issue, i worry more about slobber. but it doesnt bother me too much. i have always loved great danes, and would quite happily have one. there was a woman at crufts who was a great help and let me handly both of her dogs, walking about with them etc. id like to get a giant breed or two in while i can handle them. but i love the little dogs with attitude.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I've got both and always have had both large and small dogs.
With big dogs everything is more expensive, from collars to beds to vet treatment. You need a bigger car to transport them,
If they become ill and collapse you need help to get them to the vets.
People see you walking down the street and cross the road to avoid you, so you need a thick skin.
If you collide then you could be seriously injured.
A big dog has a much louder bark, fine for scaring off potential intruders but not so great when your OH works nights and sleeps during the day. The neighbours are more likely to complain about noise too.
Big dogs have to be well trained in my opinion there is no leeway for bad behaviour.
Big dogs eat a lot more
Small dogs are a doddle by comparison, they are not intimidating, don't eat much, don't need that much exercise, can fit several in even a small car, crates are cheap and easily accommodated, beds are cheaper, vet treatment is cheaper, even worming tablets and flea treatment are cheaper. Landlords are far more likely to rent to someone with a small dog than a large one. Easy to pick up and transport, generally far better accepted in public spaces and public transport etc etc etc.
I have no trouble bending and training can be done sitting on the floor or with the dog on a table or whatever. You might trip over a small dog but that's preferable to being knocked flying by a big one. A small untrained, unruly dog couldn't overpower me and run amok but a large one that wasn't well trained could.
thanks for the reply. see i truly understand the small dog points because i have two, and they are the advantage. but i absolutely adore big dogs and would like to own at least one at some point. even if i have one big dog and then have small dogs for the rest of my days
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i love grooming dogs hair isnt an issue, i worry more about slobber. but it doesnt bother me too much. i have always loved great danes, and would quite happily have one. there was a woman at crufts who was a great help and let me handly both of her dogs, walking about with them etc. id like to get a giant breed or two in while i can handle them. but i love the little dogs with attitude.
Yeah slobber isnt to much fun. Im always cleaning the walls and have even had to clean it of the ceiling before now. I have custom slobber clothes all over the place for wiping her face. I dont mind if i get it on clothes unless im dressed up but i fo have to put her out while im eating as it turns my stomach watching it dripping away like somebody turned a tap on
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 08:08 PM
What about... a medium sized dog!

Big enough to be classed as what some term a 'proper dog', but small enough to be cheap to feed, easy to handle etc.

I woudn't have a dog smaller than Kestral I don't think (13kg), but after having Basset the BMD as the family dog (55kg) I wouldn't go that big either!
15-30kg is about right for me as a single person I think..

Have to say though - my friend has just got a weim and an excitable weim in the house is not in the same league as a buhund!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >