Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:21 PM

People with small dogs and big dogs?

How do you find it?
Is it difficult with the different exercise needs?
Do you ever about the larger one "squashing" the smaller one or playing too rough?
And... pics?

(due to living at home there is no way I can get a big dog just now, but would really love one in the future) but Alfie is just JRT size! He does play pretty rough, but would it be too much?

Also... I am thinking of getting another smallish dog a good few months-a year down the line if I can, was thinking about Alfie's size again, but should I make sure it is a "solid" type dog incase I do get a larger one in the future?

Or do they all adapt and live happily?

All the people I know with multiple dogs are all about the same size
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:31 PM
My smallest dog is 3kgs and my biggest 36kgs, so quite a difference. They all get on really well and 'squashing' of the little one doesn't concern me...she is fiesty!

My terrier can keep up with the big dogs in exercise terms no problem, so that isn't an issue. She has a lot of energy for a tiny little dog.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:34 PM
I met a man with a Lhasa and a Greyhound and he was chatting to me about how difficult it was walking these 2 dogs together as the Greyhound wanted to move really fast and the Lhasa was quite slow. May just have been their personality or one liked stopping to sniff more than the other one I don't know?

I just like the concept of having 2 dogs the same breed really though I'm thinking about getting a smaller breed should something happen to Cherry or Parker (not for a long while yet hopefully!).
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Oh, and I know of someone with an Irish Wolfhound and a Yorkshire Terrier cross. Talk about polar opposites but the dogs get on really well.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Great Danes and chi's spring to mind here.

I suppose if you're going to have breeds of different sizes - you have to adapt your life to them, smaller dogs, shorter walks - although many terriers can go quite the distance (I knew of a JRT who escaped and his owners were called by a warden 10 miles away - this was over night - I miss Cookie)
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-04-2011, 09:41 PM
I love it ..

kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Oh right - thanks

Alfie is 8kg

Alfie is feisty too and when playing with big dogs I never really worry! He does occasionally get rolled on by a bouncy golden retriever.

If Alfie is playing with other dogs he can walk/play for agessss, but wouldn't want to over-do it with him if the larger one could go way further as Alfie doesn't seem to realise he can stop playing lol, but he is only 12 months just now.

ETA: I am thinking of a Boxer or a GSD actually!!
(not done much research on either breed yet though so can't decide just yet)
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:45 PM
we spend alot of time with inlaws who have dogs, warren our lab x colli who was a big boy was good friends with jack a small jackrussel.
My cousin spends alot of time with her mum who has a greyhound, he is a big bouncy boy, and my cousin has a (rescue) minature yorkie
They all get along really well no problems at all
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:46 PM
That's great to hear
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-04-2011, 10:00 PM
My biggest is 46kgs and 27" at the shoulder the smallest is 11kgs and about 9" tall and they have no issues at all, are walked together no problem. The big uns cover more ground and do it faster generally but the little ones keep up they generally just don't keep doubling back on themselves.

Even the pug keeps up

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »