Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-12-2009, 08:59 PM

CECS in Border Terriers

does anyone know about this also called spikes disease my border terrier lola has this and she had a bad episode yesterday and seems to come out of it aggresive with the other dogs and growling at the kids which she never does she usually sleeps afterwards and is fine.
ive looked up on the web site but doesnt mention anytghing just wondered if any other bt owners have come across this. does it affect their brain as in can it damage it although the cramps are in her stomach so donbt understand why she agreesive shes just over 2 and have had these cramping episodes since just before she turned 1
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
does anyone know about this also called spikes disease my border terrier lola has this and she had a bad episode yesterday and seems to come out of it aggresive with the other dogs and growling at the kids which she never does she usually sleeps afterwards and is fine.
ive looked up on the web site but doesnt mention anytghing just wondered if any other bt owners have come across this. does it affect their brain as in can it damage it although the cramps are in her stomach so donbt understand why she agreesive shes just over 2 and have had these cramping episodes since just before she turned 1
CECS is not confined to Borders its a canine condition, which is why its called "Canine Epileptoid Cramping Syndrome" Borders are connected as Border breeders are the ones trying to find out a cause and research into a marker and eventual cure.

I have seen more Labradors with this, but I have seen a Border and a couple crossbreeds too as well as a Jack Russell.

You say she "has" this, but there is NO diagnosis for CECS anywhere in the world, how was this confirmed? Cramping in dogs can be a whole load of things, I can honestly say I have never heard of a dog of any breed have a cramping episode and become aggressive, although I have known it in Epileptic dogs, in fact its fairly common when they are coming out of a fit.

It is thought that diet is the cause for this condition in dogs, certain proteins seem to cause an episode, what do you feed your dog?

There is info on this on my site of you want to look, there is also a link to the "official" site which may help you. Aswell as that there is a link on my site to a health survey that you could fill in, all info on healthy and sick dogs needs to be collated to gauge how "healthy" a breed is.
http://www.emblehope.co.uk/border-terriers/health/

Hope this helps you, any more questions just ask.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-12-2009, 09:44 PM
ok thanks for your imput i diagnosed her myself as vet said she was epileptic but got a second opinion as the vet agreeed with me she has cecs, i no theres no tests but she def has it. i also no an awful lot of borders who have it as well but none are aggresive afterwards and this is thhe first time she has been.
shes been on a raw diet for nearly a year with no rice orbread etc just meat and fish . there is no pattern she can go without an episode for 2/3 weeks sometimes then have 2/3 in a week.
i had her spayed as it coincided with her seasons but if anything shes got worse!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2009, 09:53 PM
ok thanks for your imput i diagnosed her myself as vet said she was epileptic but got a second opinion as the vet agreeed with me she has cecs, i no theres no tests but she def has it. i also no an awful lot of borders who have it as well but none are aggresive afterwards and this is thhe first time she has been.
shes been on a raw diet for nearly a year with no rice orbread etc just meat and fish . there is no pattern she can go without an episode for 2/3 weeks sometimes then have 2/3 in a week.
i had her spayed as it coincided with her seasons but if anything shes got worse!
Spaying is said to make it worse, research does state this, have you looked into this properly? The Vet that agreed with you ought to of at least known the basics.

Would you like me to put you in touch with the UK co-ordinator for CECS? She has Borders but as this is "dog" not breed specific, she does talk to people of all types that experience things like these cramps. I can pm you her number if you wish?

I would also recommend you contact the breeder of your dog and tell them, they should know.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2010, 11:37 AM
i got in touch with the lady about lolas cecs. what a great lady! gave me loads of advise and reasons why shes having more sizeures at the moment and great advice about food.
so many thanks for her tel no and will let anyone i know who has a border with the same symptons to get in touch with her its so nice to no your not alone! your a star!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 12:57 PM
i got in touch with the lady about lolas cecs. what a great lady! gave me loads of advise and reasons why shes having more sizeures at the moment and great advice about food.
so many thanks for her tel no and will let anyone i know who has a border with the same symptons to get in touch with her its so nice to no your not alone! your a star!
No problem at all, pleased she could help you. Did you see the link on my website to the health survey? Would be grateful if you could fill it in at some point.
http://www.emblehope.co.uk/border-te...health-survey/
LucyandBert
New Member!
Female 

14-09-2010, 11:00 AM
I found you site whilst looking up Border Terrier – Epilepsy and wonder if this is the problem our dog Bert has.

I wonder if I could describe his symptoms and the sequence of events and ask for your thoughts?

We went away on holiday for three weeks leaving Bert with a good friend and their dog (Bert knows the dog, the people and their home very well). After about 10 days, their daughter called to her mum that Bert had broken his leg, he was in the garden at the time. Donna went rushing out and as she did, saw that Bert’s back leg was hanging limply by his side, then his other back leg went and he keeled over. She scooped him up and took him in doors. By this time he had lost consciousness, his eyes were rolled in to his head and his tongue was lolling out of his mouth and he was fitting. He did not respond at all. She lay him on the sofa and stayed with him until it had finished. This lasted about five minutes ( I think). When he came round, he vomited a huge amount, totally emptying his stomach.

She called our vet and was told that there was no urgency to get home to be seen and it was fine to wait for our return. On one other occasion she came down in the morning and he had peed on the sofa, something he never ever does.

I took him to the vet with Donna on my return and she described the episode to him, they took blood and did a fits and feints test. I mentioned CECS to the vet, who dismissed it instantly (as slightly crack pot!) and because he had lost consciousness, I dismissed it as well, (as this did not fit with your symptoms page). The result of the blood test were all normal and the vet did say he was completely healthy in all other aspects, heart lungs, joints etc.

Since then, we have two different experiences. Both the same as each other, but different to that first ‘fit’. He becomes weak, listless, his tail crammed firmly between his legs, he does empty yawns and shivers uncontrollably and rhythmically. This lasts about 30-40 minutes, then he goes into a very deep sleep. Once he wakens he is fine if a little needy.

These two episodes happened exactly 7 days apart, once in the morning, and once in the evening. The first of these shivery episodes was roughly ten days after the ‘fit’ with my friend.

He is not eating his food, but has been stealing the left over cats food (both wet and dry) and I am going to go today and buy a low protein dry food as I have read that helps. I will also make sure he cannot get the cats food anymore. We will also go back to the vet. He is three years old this November.

The only other thing to mention is he is really rather wimpy at the moment and we have had some strange episodes out walking, were he just sits down and won’t move, where his back leg looks hurt and he is running on three legs, but the leg turns out to be fine and where he has once run off fast in the other direction and then run around looking for me.

He is such a lovely dog and I would welcome any thoughts or advice you could give us.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi there.

Sorry to hear about your Dog. personally, I do not think he has CECS, his symptoms are simply unlike those you would see. I would suggest that he is "investigated" fully by a neurologist, as perhaps they may be able to shed light on his problem. Being off their food, listless etc.. is not typical of CECS dogs either, I think he may have something else thats not so easy to detect?

Keep us informed, and very best of luck. It would also be worth contacting his breeder and making them aware of the problems you are experiencing.