Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mika-o1
New Member!
Female 

01-04-2008, 06:41 PM

help with walking a husky

Hi i have a seven month old Husky and am having problems walking her, she goes absolutely mad when i put the lead on her and by the time i finally get her out the gate for a walk i am exhausted!!! other than that she is a lovely dog, obedient and great with the kids and other people, its just she hates having a lead on. Any ideas and help, i have tried a harness and a choke someone suggested a halti or a mussle so that she cant mouth when she turns on me i just dont know what is for the best i desperately want her to behave so that i can go back to enjoy walking her
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-04-2008, 06:50 PM
the absolute best thing you can do is get yourself off to the local dog training class, there will be a poster at your vets or pet shop telling you where it is. You need to be trained how to overcome the problem just as your dog needs to be shown how to behave properly on lead. Also you will then be able to get help with any other problems you may come across.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 07:10 PM
What exactly do you mean by "when she turns on me"?

Do you attend a training club?

What does your breeder advise?

What type of collar and lead are you currently using?
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 07:19 PM
I dont think a muzzle or a choke chain are the best options.

Talk your breeder and seek out a good training class.
mika-o1
New Member!
Female 

01-04-2008, 07:40 PM
she turns round and outs both paws around my arm and starts biting on the lead
mika-o1
New Member!
Female 

01-04-2008, 08:11 PM
has anybody had any experience with a Halti/ gentle leader i would like an opinion on these
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-04-2008, 08:25 PM
I prefer a gentle leader because a halti rides up into their eyes. but really that is not the solution, you are getting a quick fix there, which is ok if you are also going to work on the underlying problem with a proper trainer, but otherwise you will only create another problems when she starts doing things to evade that. Plus you need to be able to put it on your dog first of all, which would be very difficult if she is excitable!! I use a gentle leader when I am walking my 2 because they weigh nearly 6 stone apiece so need to make sure they don't take off with me hanging on to them. However at training I don't use them, in fact we are doing all off lead work now, the gentle leader was purely a short term thing whilst the training classes took effect, which they have, I still use it for safety more than anything.
mika-o1
New Member!
Female 

01-04-2008, 08:36 PM
you have hit the nail on the head she is too excitable to even get the lead on and there is a fine line between her being out of control and the fact that she is still a puppy and just needs showing right from wrong i am worried about taking her to a class wondering if a one to one would be better at first, my vets run a class and are very good think i will have a chat with the nurse and see what she has too say
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-04-2008, 08:44 PM
does she know sit and down commands
mika-o1
New Member!
Female 

01-04-2008, 09:44 PM
yes she will sit and give paw when wanting her food and when i place her food down she will wait till i give her the command that she can have it. she is still jumping a bit but that happens only when you come in so when you have been in a while and fussed her she settles down. she does attention bite when you stop fussing her but i carry on about my business and ignore her tyhis is only a real problem with the children cos although she isnt biting them in a nasty way it still hurts them, i appreciate your advice on this
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >