Our sister sites
Our sister sites
khart
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2005, 08:59 AM

Dew Claws on Archie

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the dew claws on a Labrador should have been taken off by the breeder at a very young age? As i am relativly knew to having a pup I did not think anything of it, until my mother who came round spotted that he still has them.
If they should have been removed what are the implications of him having them?

Thanks to anyone who can help
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-07-2005, 09:04 AM
Yes, they should have been removed when he was just a few days old.

Watch that the dew claw nails do not become overgrown. If you neglect them they can grow to such an extend that they will curl round and start to penetrate the pad.

Dew claws can easily be ripped and torn in heavy cover or over rough ground. They may also be damaged in play.

They may never be a problem, so do not worry too much. Just keep an eye out

ETA: If it does worry you ask the vet to remove them when he castrates your dog.
khart
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2005, 09:30 AM
What about showing?
Can you still show a dog with dew claws?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

24-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by khart
What about showing?
Can you still show a dog with dew claws?
There is nothing in the Breed Standard about dew claws.

Did your breeder sell him to you as a show prospect?

If so, have you contacted him/her about this?
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 10:15 AM
topaz still has her dew claws .the brreder didnt have them removed . they are quite tight to her legs and mostly hidden by fur as shes long haired .. tyson had his removed at a few days old ..
khart
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2005, 10:31 AM
We didn't buy him with the intent of showing him, more of a family pet. But as my mum is really into showing it would be nice if she could if she wanted to. I havent contacted the breeder yet as I wasn't sure if it had to be done or not. Do you think I should?
khart
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2005, 10:33 AM
He has FT champ and show Champ pedigree so as far as the breeder knew we were going to, or quite possibly, show him.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

24-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Presumably, prior to showing him, you are going to consult the breeder for his/her opinion? It is the courteous thing to do as, understandably, many breeders would be unhappy about their affix being carried into the ring by a dog which they consider not quite up to standard. When you take the dog to the breeder for evaluation you can ask about the dew claws.

Does he have any endorsements? If so the breeder needs to lift them before you can show. If he is a pet then just enjoy him for what he is. Have him castrated & dew claws removed at the same time if you wish.

SB
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Are we talking hind or fore legs? If hind they could prove a problem, the front dew claws, providing they are kept clipped, should be ok unless you are wishing to work him in thick undergrowth and then could become hooked up and damaged. It is a major operation unless done in the first few days of life they are best left if at all possible, the nail is connected at a joint and is therefore not only painful but risk infection of the bone.

If for some reason you have to castrate your dog that will cause him far more problems in the show ring than will his having or not having dew claws.
khart
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Thanks, Like I said I do not intend on showing him it is just that I know little about the dew claw stuff. I appreciate all the replies. Like you say I will just leave them and make sure he doesn't catch them on anything.

Thanks