View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 09:14 AM

What is the official line on dogs off leash?

Remember the little Maltese that was attacked a few weeks ago by a Staff?
Just been chatting to it's owner and he has tried to find out if it is offically ilegal to have your dog off leash.
The local dog warden says that as long as the dog is with it's owner then it's ok
Mabyer their criterea (sp) is only along the lines of strays, I don't know?
The owners wish to persue the owner for vet bills etc, but want to make absolutly sure that they have their facts right about off leash dogs.
So, is it ilegal to have your dog off leash in built up areas or what?
anyone know for sure.
Elaine xx
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Yes, it is illegal to have your dog walking off lead along the street under the Road Traffic Act. Technically the owner of the Staff was breaking the law.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Yes, it is illegal to have your dog walking off lead along the street under the Road Traffic Act. Technically the owner of the Staff was breaking the law.
Thanks Labradork, I can tell them this next time I see them
Elaine xx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I think it depends where it happened...different byelaws are in place in different areas. The best thing they can do is phone the council and ask.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I think it depends where it happened...different byelaws are in place in different areas. The best thing they can do is phone the council and ask.
Yea just been on the road traffic act web site and it is all bery ambiguous. Although where the incident happend was not technically a road, but a path behind my bungalow it is still a place where people walk and kids play etc. Will ring the council...thanks Ramble
Elaine xx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 10:23 AM
No, it is not always illegal. Dog Control Orders have to be in place. It is illegal to have a dog `out of control` but that is another matter.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 10:30 AM
I think it varies wherever you are to be honest. Like for instance, if you walk up our road there are signs on the lamp-posts saying ''dogs must be kept on a lead'' however go into the next road and there are no signs at all.

I put mine on lead if it states to do so, and locally we have a dog warden who lives nearby, now I have walked his road without leads (no signs), and he always stops to speak to mine, but has never said anything about the lead.

Hope they can get it sorted amicably
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 11:46 AM
A person who causes or permits a dog to be on a designated road without the dog being held on a lead is guilty of an offence.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988...80052_en_1.htm
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 12:04 PM
But the point is whether the road was designated or not....it is often down to the byelaws in place from the local councils and it is never very simple.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 01:24 PM
If you are walking a dog beside a road that has been taken over by the local council (they repair it) (it is not private) and it is used by motors then it is a road and any dog walked on or beside it should be on a lead.

The rule does not apply to foot paths or bridle way only to roads.

It is, I believe, a part of the road traffic act and nothing to do with local councils apart from the fact that an track becomes a road if the council are responsible for its upkeep and it is open to motorised vehicles.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >