View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-08-2004, 09:23 AM
Jackie youve certainly got lots to keep you busy. Got to say though the reason I havent posted on this subject is that I have a bit of a bird phobia.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2004, 09:28 AM
yes i have loads roxy , the babies are very active now and feeding time is erm.....different

amanada has a bird phobia too
(i,m trying to help her overcome it)
want me to help you too??
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

20-08-2004, 09:31 AM
My OH once owned 2 Cockatiels, I didnt mind them when they were in their cage but soon as they came out and flew round I hated it, especially when they always pooed on me!
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2004, 09:35 AM
i,m not a great fan of small birds,we have a couple of smallish ones in one of our avaires and i don,t like it when they fly around,but macaws and bigger birds prefer to walk than fly round the house,and in the avairy they use their beaks to climb
mind you if they do take flight there is a very big gust of wind from their wings
and as for pooing my babies poo for england(and trump)while doing it :smt043
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2004, 12:25 AM
Jackie, My hubby wants a Mynah bird too. He says I can foster cats, if he can have a mynah bird

Yes you are helping me get over my phobia. I didn't know that the larger birds walked rather than fly. I may be able to cope with larger birds

Roxy, that's the same problem I have. I wanted to volunteer at a local wildlife sanctuary/rescue, but as they have mainly birds, I was having second thoughts
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

22-08-2004, 01:33 AM
Hmmm, I think I could cope with a large bird. I know it sounds daft but I have a phobia that if I touch a little bird it will get crushed.

It all stems from when my friends budgie died and she asked me to pick it up out of its cage to bury and it had some feathers missing and the poor thing looked so fragile and I freaked.

Sorry
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2004, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by Roxy
Hmmm, I think I could cope with a large bird. I know it sounds daft but I have a phobia that if I touch a little bird it will get crushed.

It all stems from when my friends budgie died and she asked me to pick it up out of its cage to bury and it had some feathers missing and the poor thing looked so fragile and I freaked.

Sorry
IMO that would freak most people out. was that your first experience of holding a bird?
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2004, 09:10 AM
amanda and roxy you can also cut a birds flight feathers(it is not painful to them)and if they did take flight they just glide to the floor.i,m not saying large birds won,t fly but in the house they seem to know there are dangers around them and tend to walk
amanda a mynah bird would fly i would think as it is a medium sized bird,but once again if you cut it,s flight feathers it would only flap a few yards,we don,t cut none of ours as they are all avairy birds,but have had jaffas done in the past when she lived in the house as to stop her flying out of doors and windows(as she did fly off once)

roxy baby birds are fragile but it would take quite abit to crush one,but yes i understand your phobia

amanda give the recue a call and ask them if they have any non-flight birds that you could go and see
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Gosh I'm learning a lot reading this toppic and the other one.

I didnt know this much about birds, it sounds really exciting.

Thanks Jackie
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2004, 10:44 AM
your welcome jeanette
Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 >