Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2007, 09:36 PM

I cut her nails!

Finally... it's ages since I cut T's nails cos she's a little nightmare about it...

I know why it is, it's because I hate doing them so I mess about making sure I'm not cutting them too short and then end up cutting through slowly rather than one quick clip

Well today I decided I wasn't messing around If others can cut without checking as much as I do and have no problems than I can do it too.

She tried messing around and getting out of it but she soon realised the jerky stayed in the bag unless she had a nail clipped

So Takara finally has short nails! Going to go through the process every day (obviously not really clipping them every day as they're too short now - get the clippers out and file them every day) so she gets used to it!
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm yet to cut Icon's.......I have been filing them, but I think its time to clip them soon! I hate cutting my dog's nails, as you'll remember babe, Tara used to make such a fuss it put me off....even though Blue was the angel dog for doing them.....I'm still dreading doing Icon's!!!!
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2007, 10:15 PM
well done you, it'll get easier everytime now you've conquered it
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2007, 04:53 AM
I hate doing it too - fortunately, it's only Roxy's dew claws that need attention
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by sweetveronica View Post
I'm yet to cut Icon's.......I have been filing them, but I think its time to clip them soon! I hate cutting my dog's nails, as you'll remember babe, Tara used to make such a fuss it put me off....even though Blue was the angel dog for doing them.....I'm still dreading doing Icon's!!!!
Haha, Tara was terrible!
I have started putting the clippers on Takara's nails (but not cutting them) every day so she gets used to it, and she always gets fed or a game for being good... it's starting to pay off!

Thanks Perrypooh, I've done them in the past but T went through a 'I'm a nervous wreck' phase when it just wasn't possible!

Vicki, Eddy's nails are ok, it's only his dew claws that need doing but his nails are old and brittle so they're not good to cut - plus one's black and I hate cutting black nails!! T doesn't have dew claws so I don't have to worry about those!
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Thought this might help others get the idea of how to cut the nails
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_nails.asp
chihuahualover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2007, 10:14 AM
I just had to teach myself, Its not easy thats for sure, I cut and paint Mi Mis and I have a few people now that pay me to come give there dogs manicures, alot of people are just scared there hurting them, you think it hurts them?
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2007, 10:14 AM
I have never had to cut any of my crews claws as I make sure they have a good concrete walk to keep them short.I would hate clipping them myself,xxxxxxxx
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2007, 10:19 AM
mine have pavement walks and a slabbed back garden to run around in but I still have to do their front claws. My little missie has black claws and its awful trying to do them, and yes I think it does hurt, well she tells me it does anyway
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Takara has regular walks on concrete but she has low pasterns (which I'm working on) so her nails don't come as close to the floor as they should.
Eddy's nails are kept short because he's more up on his toes than Takara.