Our sister sites
Our sister sites
oneboy99
New Member!
Male 

01-07-2016, 02:31 PM

4 months puppy aggressive behavior

Hello,

Me and my girlfriend have a 4 months puppy, He is mixed, we have him for 2.5 months.

In our apartment he is charming, cute, play with us gently and obey.

Sometimes we take him outside to a closed garden for dogs, he can run and play freely there. When there are no dogs there he becomes in one second not obey dog, make aggressive noises, jump on us and bites strong and not willing to calm down. Like being rebel in a bad way.

1. Is there is anything we can do?
2. Sometimes we give him small bone to eat, if we try to touch the bone while its in his mouth, he again become even more aggressive, panic and make us the noises of aggression.
Is that normal behavior of a puppy?

Thank you for your help 
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2016, 08:06 AM
Your puppy is very young and has a lot to learn.
Be consistent in what you tell him. When he is in the garden and he becomes disobedient take him away from what you are doing until he has calmed down.
Reward him for good behaviour.
Is there a reason to take away his bone? Let him learn some trust before you take away food.
I'm not a dog trainer and I have limited knowledge but from personal experience this is how I would approach it.
Good luck, and can we see some pictures please
oneboy99
New Member!
Male 

02-07-2016, 08:50 AM
Here are some photos of the little devil
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160610-WA0051.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	5105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160527-WA0000.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	5106  
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2016, 10:03 AM
Oh he is gorgeous, I don't believe he can be naughty
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2016, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by oneboy99 View Post
Sometimes we take him outside to a closed garden for dogs, he can run and play freely there. When there are no dogs there he becomes in one second not obey dog, make aggressive noises, jump on us and bites strong and not willing to calm down. Like being rebel in a bad way.

1. Is there is anything we can do?
Yes. He's young and excitable and so he goes to extremes in pushing boundaries to see what you are willing to accept. The ideal is to give him an incompatible behaviour to concentrate on - perhaps a sit or a down - which serves to give him a brief time out and allow his excitement to come down a notch or two. Release him and repeat when his excitement becomes too much again. If you can't manage this, then put on his lead and take him out of the situation when the unwanted behaviour starts. You have to be consistent.

2. Sometimes we give him small bone to eat, if we try to touch the bone while its in his mouth, he again become even more aggressive, panic and make us the noises of aggression.
Is that normal behavior of a puppy?
It's normal behaviour for any creature including us. Think about it, you are enjoying your favourite food and someone comes along and snatches it out of your mouth - how would you react? Taking food away from dogs is the quickest way to train them to be food aggressive. If you give him a bone, give it in a place that is his area where he won't be disturbed.

Also be aware that some dogs growl during play. It is not an aggressive growl but a play growl - my own girl does this. It's fairly easy to discern a play growl from an aggressive growl, but you do need to know your dog to gauge which is which
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2016, 11:56 PM
So adorable love the photo.
GC Reagan
New Member!
Male 

05-07-2016, 10:19 AM
Agree with all of the above, specially consistency in training plus patience. Puppies have short attention span so learning will be a little slow. Hope he has toys safe for teething/chew toys aside from bones.

Adorable puppy
TrumpetsGo
New Member!
Female 

20-07-2016, 03:24 PM
i think that it is not normal coz he is showing you that he is the alpha.. but you can help your dog by enrolling to a obedience class. you need to show him that you're the dominant one and not him.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2016, 03:49 PM
People always make such a hoo-haa about the importance of being able to take a bone off a dog without it growling. Why?? A bone to a dog is like a Krispy Kreme donut to me ... as sure as hell if someone tried to take one from me when I had just sunk my teeth into its creamy depths I would most likely commit murder! There is a shedload of difference between a puppy or an adult dog growling and actually biting - a growl is just a warning, akin to me saying "Oi!" when my daughter tries to snatch my donut!! To take Ben as an example, if he is chomping away on a juicy bone and I attempt to take it off him I won't get bitten, but he sure as hell will let me know he is most displeased - and this is fine in my opinion. As long as - in an emergency for instance - you can at the end of the day - take ownership of that bone without being bitten, then you do not have a problem. We had to remove a rotting dead rabbit off Ben once, and I just shouted at him "Leave!" and grabbed the rabbit and removed it from his mouth. He growled and grumbled, but no harm done.

Whereas as Trumpet says I strongly believe that the human needs to be at the top of the heap as it were, I do not believe that this puppy is showing signs of dominance here - just expressing his disapproval at having a tasty morsel taken off him for no good reason! This little chap looks a sweet little boy - as has been said already, enjoy him and be 100% consistent in your training - little and often and always make it enjoyable and part of play.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-07-2016, 04:28 PM
This 'Dominance' stuff is a load of bunkum anyway. I know through my experience of breeding that any puppy will defend whatever its got from any of the others. I teach them very early on to let me take things from them without 'showing them who's boss' once they've given the item up to me then they get lots of praise and a reward.They will hold their own against any of the others but always let me have anything I want off them, its extremely important that they let me do this, and their new families, in case they have hold of something that they shouldn't have that could be dangerous to them. I am in no way showing I am dominant, I am showing that it is a pleasant experience if they let me take from them without a fuss. Puppies are born with a certain status so all the human theories are pointless and some of what people come out with to me are laughable, and when I point out how ill thought out these theories are, and the reason they are plain daft, they agree
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >