View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carolee
New Member!
Female 

05-04-2006, 06:30 PM

TPLO Operation (Tibial Plateau Levelling Osteotomy)

My 15 month old lab Belle is going for the operation next week as she has a ruptured cruciate in her back leg.
We are really struggling trying to keep her rested at the moment as you can well imagine. She's a puppy and having another dog and four cats in the house well rrrrrrrrrrr get the picture?

Worried how to keep her calm after the op, tips on aftercare would be more than welcome.

Many thanks
Caz
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Most that Ive seen havent been 'ready' to start rough-housing for a little while, occasionally weve had to script out mild sedatives but generally not.
If your pup does try to get a little too active too soon then either make up an area where you can pen her in (with something over the top so she wont try and jump out) or keep her on a leash while shes supervised and crated when shes not.

Another thing to watch for is things like steps/stairs or ice/mud, slippy floors etc, if she needs to go outside. Best thing to do is put a large towel underneath her belly and use it kind of like a sling so your holding both ends, not to lift her up with it but just so you have a way to steady her should she slip. Ive seen some cruciate surgeries blow out completely when the owners have let the dog have the run of the house or yard. I hate keeping dogs crated for extended periods but with something like this, if you cant be there then that really is the best thing for them and its not usually for more than about 4-6 weeks....I think its around 6 weeks that they generally have a re-chack x.ray to make sure everything has healed well, most dogs then get signed off and can go back to not being crated although they probably wont be able to start agility or something for a bit longer.

Ive seen some dogs start using the leg within a couple days, not fully but they are starting to put a 'little' weight on it...., other dogs have taken longer. Your vet would be able to tell you when to expect her to start putting weight on it though.

hope that helps.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Hello Carolee what a shame about Belle needing an operation..do you have a crate for her? They are excellent after operations but a dog needs to get used to one first..

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/the...sed_15552.html
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi Caz, sorry to hear about Belle but I totally sympathise with you as my Rottie Murphy has had 2 TPLOS in the last year 9 months apart.

A TPLO op is a major op and very invasive on the dog body (Murphy's ops were 4 hours each) so you will probably find that Belle will want to do nothing but rest for the first few weeks anyhow as I dont think she will be up to runnig around but you really must make sure she gets total rest, so the crate idea that Mini has mentioned is a good option, flipper has also given some good information and advice and has also mentioned about putting a towel/scarf under Belle's belly to help her walk out to the garden for wee's - this is really a good thing to do as it will keep the weight of her leg.

If you feel that Belle wont do well with the crate, then keeping her on a long line in the house is a must, at least then if she does somehow manage to have a mad dash etc you can grab hold of the long line and reel her in before she does any damage.

I hope all goes smoothly for you and Belle. xx
Carolee
New Member!
Female 

08-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Thank you all for your advice and support, very much apprieciated. The towel idea sounds good as well.

I do not have a dog crate for her but what I have done is to purchase a dog gate. Belle sleeps at the bottom of a passage behind the front entrance to our house. The passage measures 6ft 5 x 3 ft wide so the dog gate fits nicely, upto now she seems quite fine going in and us shutting the gate at night when we go to bed and when she starts wanting to run riot we put her in. She tends to whine a llittle for a few minutes then settles down ok.
Luckily we don't use the front entrance.

Dreading Tuesday when she goes in.

Thanks again, I will let you know how she goes.

Caz
xx

(It's good to talk)
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Hope Everthing goes well.

Min xxxx
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

08-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Chances are it will feel 'odd' to her which may put her off using it too much or playing too rough - also if she does play a bit too rough it'll hurt! So that in itself should act as a deterrent.

I was worried about the same thing with Rocky because of his size and hes very playfull himself - but he did ok As did Stephs Murphy

Your vet will tell you about the strict rest period - its normally about 10 weeks with not being allowed to be off-lead when outside, or walks that are very long if any at all - your vet should let you know whats best for your dog tho.

let us know how you get on, and good luck!
Angel79
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Hi,

My St Bernard had TPLO on both her back legs, the first back in 2005 and the next in 2008.

The thing with animals is that you can't tell them what is best for them and they justdon't understand that they have to rest...if only humans could talk to animals.

My dog was pretty good, St Bernards are quite lazy anyway, and she did sleep and rest for most of the time in the first 2 weeks after surgery. She was putting weight on her leg about 2 weeks after, and within 4-5 months she was walking normally again. Be careful not to let your dog slip or try and run and bound around too soon.

I hope Belle is ok, give her lots of love when she first comes home, cos she will need it!!!

Nicola
jgjemma
New Member!
Female 

15-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Just back from the vets for Samson- my 6year old labs check up for his TPLO
So far so good- he s doing well and the vet says we can start building his exercise up slowly to normal now because he is nearly completely sound- we're so pleased as he has pulled the arms off us- cant wait to let him off the lead soon again!!!
The total costs were not too bad at £1200 All in- incl all xrays and the post op checks etc- the vet takes euros also as they are in northern ireland
http://www.vetclinic.co.uk/tplo-surg...osteotomy.html
will keep you posted with his progress but must say the nurses were very helpful and took time to put our mind at ease when samson was at the clinic
Hope he does not do the other one now!!!