Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 02:12 PM

YKC Activity Weekends...

Anyone ever been on one with their children? What are they like??
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 02:15 PM
I have heard they are great fun - not been personally but possible this year might do will wait and see!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 02:16 PM
WE got info through the other day, first one is in Stafford, looks good but Cosmo will still only be a youngster, I wonder if it would be too much for him???? Think it is tied in with the Birmingham Dog Show or something??? It's in May.
I thought Cosmo could do the handling class with my son and perhaps the obedience {falls over laughing to herself....}
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
WE got info through the other day, first one is in Stafford, looks good but Cosmo will still only be a youngster, I wonder if it would be too much for him???? Think it is tied in with the Birmingham Dog Show or something??? It's in May.
I thought Cosmo could do the handling class with my son and perhaps the obedience {falls over laughing to herself....}
Think they are very relaxed A - tee hee! think its good fun totally will ask my friend who has done it before with her daughter - I am seeing her tomorrow.

And many different levels A
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 04:44 PM
YKC training weekends are generally very good fun, and if you get a good trainer, they can be invaluable.

My youngest lad usually dogs YKC camp ( a week), and for the past couple of years we have done the training weekend at Welsh Kennel Club.

One thing I have come to learn, is that JHA and YKC handling are distinctly different (although there is the school of thought they shouldnt be!) Of the two handling styles, I think JHA is better.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 09:53 PM
sorry Thandi I am new to this...what is JHA?!!!!!

Where is the training weekend for the Welsh Kennel Club usually held?

I emailed a Flat Coat person I know does YKC stuff and she said the same...all good fun and very laid back..it sounds promising!
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2008, 10:06 PM
JHA is Junior Handling Association, I think.

How old is too old for the YKC?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 10:24 PM
i think they go up to 24.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 09:47 AM
WKC long weekend is held alongside the WKC champ show at Builth Wells, but there are no 'KC pedigree registered dog' (competition)handling classes, only dogs registered on the activities register. This is because WKC think they would conflict with JHA (Junor Handling Association) that they run at the Ch Show.WKC are very generous hosts, so this fair enough.
IMO the WKC weekend is one of the very best activity weekends, although we either have a really sunny weekend, or a very wet one! The last two years have been wet, so we must be due for a sunny one

hth
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Ta Thandi that sounds good too...could well be tempted. This dog is keeping us busy!!!