Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
harry
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-03-2007, 09:37 AM

Training/behaviour books?

Does anyone have any recommendations for good books on dog behaviour/dog training?

I've read quite a few 'canine psychology' type things - such as Jan Fennel - and I'm fairly familiar with problem behaviour issues and how to tackle them. I'm looking for general advice/how-to books (or dvds etc) on normal canine behaviour and training dogs. If anyone has any particular authors or schools of thought they could recommend that would be good too.

I did do a search and couldn't find a similar thread to this, apologies if it's already been done and I couldn't find it.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Jean Donaldson - 'Ths Culture Clash'. IMO, a 'must-read' for all dog owners.

Also 'Fight!' and 'Mine!' are excellent books by the same author, dealing with dog-dog aggression and resource guarding respectively.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi Harry here are previous discusion threads on the subject..
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...books+training

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...ighlight=books

I have many dogs books but my favourite is still Donaldsons 'The Culture Clash', she describes many of the methods I have always use and arrived at by trial and error so I feel at home with her.

I also like books of Fisher and Dunbar although some of the current thinking has changed from when their earlier books were published.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 04:01 PM
I still think one of the best ever training videos was the Dunbar series - just excellent

For clicker training for obedience, I'd recommend Morgan Spector's - Clicker Training for Obedience - based on US obedience but very informative and in depth.

I'd also check out Mary Ray videos/dvds and The Motivation Movie by Jo Hill and Sarah Whitehead.

The APDT have done a dog training book, also Haynes have a new one out :

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10001

I'd also recommend anything by Gwen Bailey, Jean Donaldson, Karey Pryor, and Brenda Aloff has done some very good books regarding canine body language, reward based training and other related subjects.

Another book much suggested on other forums, although I've not read itmyself, is The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training

Wys
x
Meg
Supervisor

18-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I still think one of the best ever training videos was the Dunbar series - just excellent
Wys
x
I never saw those and don't have a video now . Are they on DVD I Will have to look...

I understand Ian Dunbar is doing a final lecture tour here this year for anyone interested the details are on the APDT site under 'events' ( half way down the page) ..

http://www.apdt.co.uk/apdt_events.htm
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I never saw those and don't have a video now . Are they on DVD I Will have to look...

I understand Ian Dunbar is doing a final lecture tour here this year for anyone interested the details are on the APDT site under 'events' ( half way down the page) ..

http://www.apdt.co.uk/apdt_events.htm
That's right :smt001

I met him a few years ago at the Wag and Bone show and he was lovely, he did some Sits with Banya. I think he's done so much for dog training over the years, I have huge admiration for him.

I'm not sure if he's on dvd Mini, let me know if you find he is...

Wys
x
Meg
Supervisor

19-03-2007, 09:43 AM
That's right :smt001
I met him a few years ago at the Wag and Bone show and he was lovely, he did some Sits with Banya. I think he's done so much for dog training over the years, I have huge admiration for him.
I'm not sure if he's on dvd Mini, let me know if you find he is...

Wys
x
Lucky you I have found a DVD on Amazon(.co not uk,) and will get it at some stage (review below) it only came out in January..
I would love to go to Ians talks at Milton Keynes in July but can't because of work.

Training Dogs With Dunbar

Review
"Some fields are lucky enough to be granted a giant: a figure whose contributions inspire awe and are unsurpassable. Ian Dunbar is that in dog behavior. There is no single person on the face of the planet to whom dog trainers and owners (not to mention dogs) owe more." Jean Donaldson . Author of The Culture Clash --Jean Donaldson, author of The Culture Clash

Product Description
Probably the most creative, cutting-edge dog training video on the market. In his entertaining and commonsense style, Dr. Dunbar covers a wide variety of topics, including people training games (to help owners see training from the dog's point of view) and methods for troubleshooting fighting dogs. Dog training is not just about control, it's about relationships. If you have a good relationship with, he will do his best to please you. So make sure you use kind and patient training methods to enhance that relationship and produce a well-mannered companion. Ian Dunbar's easy and enjoyable lure and reward techniques make training fun for you and your dog.

AddedI have ordered it from Amazon and it will be here in four weeks , will write a review when I have watched it .
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 06:36 PM
I'll be really interested in your review, Mini
I love what is said about the relationship side of things - I so, so agree

Wys
x
Meg
Supervisor

21-04-2007, 05:40 PM
I'll be really interested in your review, Mini
I love what is said about the relationship side of things - I so, so agree

Wys
x
Well the video has arrived I don't have time to watch it all just now but am already in love with Doctor Dunbar and his beard (Mini swoons ) I watched the first half hour which demonstrates the importance of ensuring the dog/puppy you are training understands what is being asked of it and the need to use willing compliance not force . It seems to have a gentle leisurely pace.
palo
New Member!
Female 

23-04-2007, 06:22 AM
Helo Harry
I think there are many sites that are providing latest updates on dogs' training.
Please check them out with care with a bit patience
Thank you
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >