Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-11-2013, 11:49 PM

Best Dog Training Books

Thought it might be a good idea to do a thread on the best dog training books every couple of years or so, so people looking for such a book get the latest info.

So, what do you think are the best dog training books around?
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2013, 12:24 AM
I really like Behavior Adjustment Training: BAT for Fear, Frustration, and Aggression in Dogs by Grisha Stewart

Also Scaredy Dog: Understanding and Rehabilitating Your Reactive Dog by Ali Brown
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Tracking Dog - Glen Johnson. Although Canadian the principles and examples are still valid.
He states "always trust your dog" and I did just that a couple of weeks ago when I thought He was leading me on the wrong track, .... my dog was right, I was wrong.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Also - Scent and the Scenting Dog, by William G. Syrotuck, quite scientific - a lot about how scent is transferred to air/ ground.

For HTM, Richard Curtis, Dancing with Dogs, as it doesn't just show moves, but includes structuring a programme & interpretation.

For behaviour and problems, Control Unleashed, L. MacDevitt. Rather Agility focussed, but the exercises can be generalised.

The Culture Clash, J. Donaldson, makes you feel guilty for all those times you have expected dogs to understand a 'foreign' language!

Mary Ray's Superdog for showing just how varied and how much fun dog training can be.
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 09:40 PM
I highly recommend 'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training' by Pamela Dennison teaching all the basic commands and obedience.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 12:42 AM
Understanding the Silent Communication of Dogs - Rosie J. Lowry. A real eye-opener!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks everyone - some great books there, and a few I haven't heard of!

Wonder if it might be worth starting some threads with polls for each of the most popular books so people can score them from 1 to 10. I'd be interested in seeing which ones get rated the highest
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 11:45 PM
I love The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell. It was recommended by a friend, who has my eternal gratitude. It's not an instruction manual, more a general guide, and unusual in that she focuses a lot on humans-- the weird stuff that WE do, that we don't really think about, because it's just what we do-- and how our behaviours affect our dogs, and how our dogs might respond. Her books will really make you think. All dogs are different-- her work will help guide you to thinking about how.
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Thanks everyone - some great books there, and a few I haven't heard of!

Wonder if it might be worth starting some threads with polls for each of the most popular books so people can score them from 1 to 10. I'd be interested in seeing which ones get rated the highest
I like that idea Azz! I find Dogsey invaluable for book recommendations

Another one that I read and enjoyed is Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know by Alexandra Horowitz.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 11:00 AM
First dog training book I ever bought was about Chihuahuas I clearly remember waving the book at little Rosie saying if only you had read this we would not be looking at this trail of destruction ! (she had systematically removed every cassette tape from a shelf and chewed them all up - the book clearly written by a moron said Chihuahuas don't chew ! ).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >