View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Reading through all this I can only agree that it looks like the guy has been conned. It's sad, but it's certainly not the first time someone has trusted a partner only to find that it was a one sided relationship.

What practical advice can you give him (a) immediately open an account in his name and put his wages etc. in that (b) Make darn sure that none of the debts, cards, mortgage, etc. are liable to come to him and (c) cut his losses and get out!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2008, 09:02 PM
:smt038 :smt038 Well done H!!! Good advice there!!!

That way, he'll end up with at least half his money back anyway, coz whatever she has in her account has to be declared and he'll get half!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Well she managed to talk him out of going with her to get a statement but apparently she has produced a statement from the bank and they have the correct amount of money in the account.

Now I know I should feel relief but all I feel is suspicion and am just totally unconvinced. She was an hour late from work, she made all mannor of excuses not to go and finally persuaded him not to go with her by saying the car had broken down and if she came to pick him up she wouldn't make it before the bank shut, and even then it was a printed copy, not a photocopy at least but not a 'proper' statement either but then you can get a valid printed copy from the bank, so I just don't know what to think. And before she got home she rang him and sat in her car crying her heart out apparently saying she knows if she shows him this he will run off with the money and leave her (er hello, how can he, it's in her name!) but he maintained he needed to see the statement today or she was out anyway, so good on him for that!

I just hope it is a real statement and that the money is still there and that everything else has been some kind of missunderstanding. He still thinks the first one she produced was one she had faked, which would explain the identical account numbers but now both that 'fake' one and the other statement which is of the account in overdraught (with same account number as the one 50k+ in credit account) have both miraculously dissappeared! So he cannot compare them and check numbers but he does believe this new one is real. He said he is going to get his name on the accounts too next week and I just really hope he sticks to his guns this time and does it and then he can see the balance for himself on the screen when he is in the bank and then I will believe it when he has seen it for himself. I just hope it is not another of her schemes but he is on cloud 9 again now as he has his proof, i'm just not as easily convinced, is that cynical?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
i'm just not as easily convinced, is that cynical?
I would not say it is cynical Kel.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2008, 11:00 PM
the other thing is,,,, its quite easy to get a statement with x amount in the bank, all you need to do, is get someone to make a cheque out for whatever, stick it in and it will show as ledger balance right away, then quick statement, cancel cheque, voila though you have a bank statement with 50k in, similar can be done with cashlines that you can deposit money in, I often drop money in these when collecting large cash amounts at weekends, they pretty much show up right away too, again ledger balance though, just a thought, x
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2008, 11:25 PM
if all was well why did the woman at the bank say to come in asap?
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
My thoughts exactly, they dont usually ask you to come in sooner rather than later unless they know there is a problem.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 12:00 AM
thats a very valid point,

Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
My thoughts exactly, they dont usually ask you to come in sooner rather than later unless they know there is a problem.
DITO, he needs to go with her and see whats going on with both of them there, Dougie got the run around for ages with his ex over the cash,,,, best nip it in the bud right away, x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 07:13 AM
That was my immediate thought too. I'd love it to all be ok, but my gut says differently. Sorry to say this, but this poor guy has been taken for a very long ride, IMO, Kel. Give him some hugs when you see him x
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Sorry to read this post.

If there is a card with the account. Until can arrange meeting at bank. To get the imediate postion re account, I would have insisted going together to the a local cash machine and get a mini statement to see balance of the account. This would be printed with date ect ect.

Its going to be in his best interests to sort everything out and seperate. Would also insist there is an agreement signed at the bank to protect his interests re savings.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >