View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-10-2005, 06:49 PM

personal protection training good or bad?

http://www.youtube.com/?v=fL54CNfsgw8

say what you think, and why
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-10-2005, 07:02 PM
What this dog is doing is no different to how the Police and armed forces train their dogs for security purposes-which is ok as the handlers would be trained proffesionals and their job is legitemate.

Not so keen on an average householder having a dog like this in suburbia because of possible accidents which may come from inexperienced owners.Granted,most dogs would protect their owner/family/house if threatened,but having a dog trained for attack is a different kettle of fish.

Protection and attack are two different issues.
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by bolty

Originally Posted by Steve
What this dog is doing is no different to how the Police and armed forces train their dogs for security purposes-which is ok as the handlers would be trained proffesionals and their job is legitemate.

Not so keen on an average householder having a dog like this in suburbia because of possible accidents which may come from inexperienced owners.Granted,most dogs would protect their owner/family/house if threatened,but having a dog trained for attack is a different kettle of fish.

Protection and attack are two different issues.
police vid using GSD's
http://www.negative-shock.net/index....iew_vid&id=350
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 07:33 PM
I know I said I'd stay away... but that looks awful too... maybe it's just me - but those poor dogs are put in great risk - they are thrown about like old ragdolls. It just seems far too extreme to me.

xx
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Infact,after typing i remembered watching a tv documentory on bbc1 several years ago about dogs being trained for the Police and army.In this,it said that when a Police dog comes to the end of its service (normally 8 years) it has to go through a final test-it has to find an 'intruder' but not attack or bite and only bark to alert its handler of his presence.Normally,the handler keeps the dog after retirement,but if it fails this test-it is sadly PTS.

Also,Police/Army security dogs go through 6 weeks of basic training and those dogs at the end of the first course which fail are first offered jobs with private security firms,but those who are not so lucky-are PTS also.They recon its because the dogs have been taught basic attack training and cannot legally be rehomed in a family enviroment.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Zounsz, they are not hitting the dog with any force, its more to provide a distraction, to test the dogs intent on doing its job.

I personally do not condone the training of dogs to attack people. I have seen it go wrong with 2 different breeds in 2 very different circumstances, both times ending in horrific injury. Some people go about this sort of thing for the wrong reasons, I do not like it, but for those that do, I have absolutely no problem with, if they choose to do so.
Dawn.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 08:19 PM
I can see why the armed forces and police (altough trained to do the same thing in different ways) need to train their dogs to protect, defend etc. But not the average person in the street. A cousin of mine brought a dog from Germany a rhodesian ridgeback 24 years ago he was a lorry driver and brought the dog from a man - the dog was brilliant he came home the dog went into quarantine all was well for 2 years the one day, one of his sons someohow (I know but will not say) unknowlingly triggered the dogs attack signal and I even now you can still see the scars he is know Dougie now 35 and the scars are still evident he had 127 stitches on the right hand side of his face; 64 stitches in his shoulder and top of his arm. and had to have replacement skin from his "back" to replace the skin on his arm. So I do not believe the general public should have attack dogs my cousin Phil contacted the man who he had brought the dog from who said "He was trained to be an attack dog - I didn't think you would trigger his attack message" The dog was PTS.

Karen
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by bolty

Perfectly fine in the hands of professionals but that's the only ones who should even attempt this type of training.

Graeme
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 08:27 PM
I dont agree with this sort of training for family pets as i think its possible you might be in the park etc and the dog might react to a sudden shout , or action in the wrong way,you carnt blame the dog for his training but almost certainly he will be expected to pay for his honest mistake with his life and his only crime was doing what he'd been taught todo,i really belive that any dog treated right will defend his home/family readily with his life if nessaery and all he asks in return is love, no special training required
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2005, 09:02 PM
This sort of training could all go horribly wrong in the wrong hands/situation. I think that only professionals i.e police/armed forces should train there dogs like this.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »