Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2010, 02:59 PM

Off topic posts from puppy gone off food/teething puppy thread

It is a popular myth that puppies should be chubby and cute. Following the practice of keeping them roly poly is a triumph of the way it has always been over scientifically proven fact.

In fact all dogs should be lean for best health and longest life. It is most important for larger puppies. I put much more faith in the professionals at the service dog schools than in internet posters that don't read the JAVMA.

There was an extensive discussion of weight in a recent newsletter from a service dog school.

''Obesity is the number one nutritional disease affecting dogs. It's estimated that 25-45% of dogs in the US are obese. Studies have shown that joint and locomotive problems increase by 57%, circulatory problems by 74%, respiratory problems by 52%, skin problems by 40% and cancer by 50% in animals that are overweight.

Large breed dogs that are overweight also are more prone to developing hip dysplasia. Obesity is especially dangerous for young puppies, as their underdeveloped frame cannot support the extra poundage that it must carry.''
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
It is a popular myth that puppies should be chubby and cute. Following the practice of keeping them roly poly is a triumph of the way it has always been over scientifically proven fact.

In fact all dogs should be lean for best health and longest life. It is most important for larger puppies. I put much more faith in the professionals at the service dog schools than in internet posters that don't read the JAVMA.

There was an extensive discussion of weight in a recent newsletter from a service dog school.

''Obesity is the number one nutritional disease affecting dogs. It's estimated that 25-45% of dogs in the US are obese. Studies have shown that joint and locomotive problems increase by 57%, circulatory problems by 74%, respiratory problems by 52%, skin problems by 40% and cancer by 50% in animals that are overweight.

Large breed dogs that are overweight also are more prone to developing hip dysplasia. Obesity is especially dangerous for young puppies, as their underdeveloped frame cannot support the extra poundage that it must carry.''
There you again Labman - this is a thread about a teething puppy going off its food - not obesity. You really are like a record that has got stuck in a groove. This lady has said that she has felt his body and can feel his spine, etc., so she is not thinking he is overweight - she is concerned about his teething/going off his food. Please read what is being said, before putting on the same old record over and over again.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Yet again, a completely unhelpful and pointless post, given the subject and the OP's concerns for the puppy, and assurance that the puppy is not overweight or being over-fed. If you have a point you wish to make for discussion (about obesity in dogs), you should post your thread in the relevant section of the forum, instead of continuing to rudely hijack other people's threads.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
There you again Labman - this is a thread about a teething puppy going off its food - not obesity. You really are like a record that has got stuck in a groove. This lady has said that she has felt his body and can feel his spine, etc., so she is not thinking he is overweight - she is concerned about his teething/going off his food. Please read what is being said, before putting on the same old record over and over again.
One of the most common causes of eating problems is over feeding. So I bring it up and the usuals convert it into a debate with a bunch of off topic errors. Then I get beat up for giving a likely cause of the problem.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 05:54 PM
One of the most common causes of eating problems is over feeding. So I bring it up and the usuals convert it into a debate with a bunch of off topic errors. Then I get beat up for giving a likely cause of the problem.
I am not trying to beat you up Labman and I do agree that dogs can become fussy eaters and many people worry unnecessrily over their food intake. I believe that a healthy dog will not starve himsellf and if he doesn't eat at one meal, he will probably clear his bowl the next time.
As I understand it you have mainly labradors, which like my flatcoats are not usually fussy eaters, in fact they will eat almost anything - frequently to excess if allowed to do so - they are gannets; so too much weight can often be their problem. On the other side of the coin I had a collie who ate like a bird, was always on the go and never put on an ounce right up to his 18th year and I thought he didn't eat enough. They are all different, and each dog owner has to find out what is "normal" for their dog/puppy.
Perhaps if you do start a thread about obesity/weight gain etc., and ways to maintain a healthy weight you may be surprised by the positive response you get.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2010, 04:54 PM
There are probably many more obese nd overweight dogs in the US than herein the UK - I meanproportionally, not in terms of exact numbers )given the size of each Country). Where I live, there aren't any overweight dogs at all. Whether any of them are fussy eatersor not, I don't know.

Labman - you say you give likely causes of specific problems but you don't. You usually give just one possibility without any thought for what may actually be going on. Do you know this lady personally so you can coment accurately on the cause of her dog's weight or eating habits? If not, then why give just one answer. If you know so much more than anyone else (which is something you frequently claim) then why not give all potential posibilities to the causes so that us mere mortals (who have dogs without eating disorders, dogs who are fussy eaters or overweight dogs) can see what you have to say.

You say the usuals convert your comments into a debate. That's what a forum is for. If you don't want anyone to discuss what you think, don't post it. Very simple.
Who are the "usuals"? What are the off topic errors? Maybe you could offer some sort of justification or explanantion of some of your own comments instead of expecting everyone to just accept everything you say.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Among other things I brought up the subject of over feeding before the OP supplied additional information on the dogs condition.

One huge error is thinking the dog's body condition has nothing to do with why it isn't eating. Many dogs are smarter than their owners and refuse to eat all they are given. While that is rare in Labs where I have most of my experience, I have seen ones that way and many light eating Shepherds.

Obese in dogs is defined as 20% overweight. As a lean one year old, Zephyr weighed 67 pounds. When he returned to to our daughter, he weighed 92 pounds, 37% more than he should have. At that point, he still had somewhat of a waist and belly tuck up. I hate to think how heavy many of the dogs are that actually bulge at the belly.

However many dogs in much better shape will still have their lives shortened by their indulgent owners that insist on keeping them as heavy as other overweight dogs. It is a real shame so many are not about to even consider anything outside the way it has always been. No far better to discredit me by distorting my practices in other areas.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2010, 09:51 PM
you seem to have an obsession with dogs weight... i know some dogs are overweight, but in my experience i come across very few overweight dogs. there is one i meet often, but she was hit by a car, and couldnt walk for months so piled the weight on, she is now on a strict diet and gets long walks and does plenty swimming. i also know a dog who i would never say was overweight, yet the vet said she was (even though you can feel her ribs). she is a wee crossbreed, and tbh i think she just doesnt look inproportion coz her body is relatively big when compared to the size of her head.

when jake was a pup, he had worms and was skin and bones with a huge round belly. i was desperate to put weight on him, and cover his hip bones... i dont see a problem with that. i love jakes weight now, and think he is the perfect weight (he could even do with putting on a wee bit and still be a good weight!).
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2010, 11:02 PM
I've only seen this thread, not the other, but weight can cause a problem, it can decrease the dogs life expectanty, and it can increase joint problems, which is why dogs should be kept at a good weight for their breed/type, and that includes when they are puppies too. I've heard in people that a chubby baby has more chance of being an over weight adult, and this is because of fat cells, they don't go away, but can multiply, if a young person has them then they can increase during adult hood and cause more problems, so a child on the leaner side is better (ask change4life for this too ), as it can lead to less problems when they are adult. A dog can also be affected by a simalar thing. So don't starve your dog, but don't encourage any extra weight that their needs to be, as you could end up regretting it when your dog gets older, espcially if your dog has a medical condition that is aggrevated by weight, and because you allowed your dog to be chubby when it was younger it makes it easier for your dog to put on weight when its older, and harder to help ease any pain that your dog is in.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2010, 11:14 PM
I have to say around here there are plenty overweight dogs - and thats the ones lucky enough to get out on walks, there are prob as many dogs who dont see further than their back gardens
and people are so used to seeing overweight dogs that that is the norm
I used to often get comments about Ben being too skinny (his coat is thicker now so I dont get so much hassle) but he was a great weight - often the other dogs where huffing and puffing to keep up with their owners let alone Ben

I think lots of people as well have no idea what is a sansible sized treat
There is a v overweigh pap around here, her owner gives her 6 or 7 treats on a walk
I didnt think that was bad until she game mine a treat too
a whole one of those pedigree meaty strip things!!! One of them broken into bits would be more than both of mine would get on a training walk
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >