Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2010, 11:44 AM

Introducing pup to raw

Feeding time today, saw me put Erik's puppy kibble and minced rabbit down for him to eat, and then I was sorting out the chicken portions for the other dogs.
Erik saw me giving Meeka, Aura and Bugzy some chicken thighs and started whimpering, so I cut off the fat from one of the thighs, slashed it up a bit and i've given it to him to see what he makes of it.
He wasn't sure at first, kept sniffing it and pouncing on it, now he's carried it to his bed and is laying there and licking it. Puppy kibble is forgotten about he's much more interested in this chicken portion.

I have previously mixed in a little bit of the minced raw foods like minced beef, minced chicken, minced rabbit and minced lamb into his puppy kibble and he's eaten that well, tried minced fish and he hated that!
His tummy can't tolerate tripe yet, every time i've tried giving him even just a tiny bit he ends up with a very squity tummy. So I think i'm going to leave that for a while and try again at a later date.

I tried him on those nature's menu nuggets with tripe,liver,heart and veg, and also the chicken nuggets with apple and veg in. He's not keen on those, but then again non of my other dogs seem to like the natures menu nuggets either!

Should I just continue mixing in a bit of raw meats into his puppy kibble, and gradually reduce the amount of kibble.
Or should I be trying to give him say 2 meat meals a day and 2 puppy kibble meals a day, and then make it 3 meat meals to 1 puppy kibble etc?

Which way would be best?
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 02:46 PM
I would probably go with the separate meals as (as you probs know) the kibble and raw will digest at different rates.