Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
em_er_li
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-03-2010, 10:14 PM

Badger bite

Hi all, I'm so sorry, I've not been on for days and when I do come on it's to ask for all of your help AGAIN.

I came home tonight to find out that when Rosa had been let out for a wee, a badger attacked her at the top of the garden, Edd's dad managed to grab Rosa's bum and pull her away and behind him, but there was another badger there too. He picked her up and ran her indoors. Which is where we can now see she has 3, maybe 4 bites to her face.

They're not huge, but the skin is broken. We cleaned all the cuts with salt water, and she's on antibiotics for her neck wound anyway..

What do you think will happen? She has a vets appointment tomorrow morning anyway, obviously I will tell him. Edd's parents seem to think he might have her PTS as badgers supposedly carry TB, and she'll become a public health risk?

Does anyone know anything about this type of thing? I just want to be even slightly prepared for tomorrow.

Any advice welcome.

It's just aswell we didn't call her Lucky really, isn't it? Lol.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Don't wprry about the TB thing---she will probably be prescribed antibiotics to stop possible infection and be fine,

Lots of terriers get bitten by badgers!

rune
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2010, 10:37 PM
hi
as rune says ,try not to worry...it will be treated the same as any 'bite wound'
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Are you she was bitten by a Badger? They dont bite, they hold, rip and tear. Im surprised (and very pleased) if she isnt badly hurt.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 05:46 AM
Poor girl. Hope the vet can sort it. Try not to worry xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 07:09 AM
It will be treated like any other bite, but I have to say she was very lucky, were they young badgers As I used to own a JRT that carried a huge scar during her latter years from one ear straight across her her down to her neck, where a badger swiped her across the face with its claws.
Your dog has been lucky to get away with just a bite, if there are badgers there I'd be careful next time she may not be so lucky.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 07:58 AM
wow! she is one lucky girl!! hope she heals very quickly. xx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Just reading this again, I cant see how for the life of me somebody can pull a dog off a Badger so easily, are you sure it was a Badger?