Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Onyx
New Member!
Female 

16-05-2016, 01:40 AM

Do I have enough time for a dog?

I hope this is the right place to post this, but if not I'm sorry. This is my first post here, so hi!

So, I want to get my first puppy, but I'm concerned that maybe I'm not being fair to the dog if I get one with my current schedule? Maybe you guys can help me decide. I've been putting off getting a dog for a while, not because I don't want one, but because I have this crazy idea that one day I won't be so busy?

I work six days a week(52.5 hours). Not the same hours though. I plan to get up everyday at 6 a.m. so we'll have an hour for her to go potty, play and get breakfast.

Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday my shifts are pretty short. I have time before and after work to spend with the puppy. Tuesday and Thursday my Mom also gets off work earlier than me and works down the street, so she can come at lunch to give her some attention/potty time. On Sunday Mom can be home with her the whole time I'm at work. The puppy can ride in the car to come pick me up too(which would be good for getting her used to the car).

Mon, Wed. Fri is a different story. I'm gone from eight-thirty in the morning until nine-thirty at night. My plan for those days is to have her in daycare from 7 a.m. to six-ish. My mom will pick her up and spend time with her, then take her in the car to come get me. Then we'll have about an hour before bed to go outside to play/potty until bed-time.

Then on my day off I imagine I'll be spending a lot of time wit her. I'm a hermit. I like to stay home as much as possible except for going for walks. I live in a pretty nice neighborhood with a lot of cool cafe's and antique shops. They have events down here all the time, so I love walking in town. I want the dog to become my walking/eventually jogging buddy. I'm also a little interested in agility and discdog, the only thing stopping me is my anxiety dealing with people(but I mean, I work in customer service soooo hopefully I can get over that for my dog like I have to at work).

Sorry for the novel. I just consider getting a dog a lifetime commitment and I'm trying to make sure I'm being realistic. My Mom and I live together so right now I have some help, I'm financially stable(not a millionaire, but i have money in savings incase vet bills come up and I have two jobs so if I get fired from one I'm not totally screwed). We are going to move to a house in a couple months, so she'll eventually have a yard. My Mom owns a pug(who I primarily walk and play with), so clearly we can take care of a dog. I also own a cat. I don't know why I'm freaking out. Mostly because this will be a puppy probably.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2016, 08:42 PM
It sounds like you have given a lot of thought to the future happiness and well-being of a dog in your care.

As your dog won't be left alone very often and will have care from both yourself and your mum, then I don't see any real issues.

Do you have an idea of what size, breed, energy level of dog you are considering getting?
Josphroberts
New Member!
Male 

26-05-2016, 05:13 PM
Seems like you understand that you work long hours but you've thought of how to guarantee that your dog won't stay home alone for extended periods of time. How many people are dog owners, have lots of time on their hands, and still don't pay much attention to your dog. Sounds like if you get a dog it will be loved and be well taken care of. I don't see why not, as long as you're committed to waking up at 6 every day and putting in the extra effort outside of your 52 hour work day to ensure it has a healthy, active life.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-05-2016, 05:23 PM
Lets put it this way. A puppy needs a stable home life to settle in and get used to routines. They need set sleep times and as well as feed and exercise/play time . Personally I would say if you can't maintain a routine going by these simple rules then now is not the time to get one.
josephsantos
New Member!
Male 

26-05-2016, 08:44 PM
The fact that you had thought about that tells me you'd be an excellent dog owner
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2016, 11:51 AM
Onyx, welcome. I am glad you are seeking answers to all these questions. Commitment to your puppy is everything. Some of the hours you work worry me but you do seem to have them covered. As someone else asked what size dog and sort of dog were you looking for. If the Pug is at home all the time does he have free range and would therefore be company for any new puppy. I wish you luck finding a suitable dog which would fit into your life style.

God bless.