Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Exactly, now put yourself back into that position, before you had the help from anyone else and tell me you never once got frustrated or close to tears at any point with him? And how you would have felt at that point if when you asked for help, someone went on to insinuate that you didn't know what you were doing and he would be happier elsewhere..........

Lucky for your boy Dyane that he could be turned around, as i'm sure that months down the line we will be saying the same about Poppy.
The only personal help I needed was on his sheep work. I didn't need any help with the obedience, WT or Showing. I had no sheep so hence the need for the experienced help with the right sheep to start a dog on

I never felt frustrated or unable to cope I simply went to an experienced shepherd & with his help re commands, whistling etc

Glen wasn't my first BC nor my first working(well pastoral) breed either & I learnt on other people's dogs with good dog trainers many years before
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
I rather think you contradict yourself JoedeeUK

My BC is my pet, and blissfully happy She is scared of sheep too
I wish people wouldn't bang on about BC's not going to pet homes, why is it the BC is the ONLY breed that is deemed unhappy unless its doing what it was originally bred to do. What about all the gun dogs i'm pretty sure most of their owners don't take them shooting

((((Hugs)))) for you Elaine, and hope you have success with darling Poppy's training Mine used to chase joggers etc i got help from Paul & Sarah at Wiccaweys, they are FAB they know collies

With Love
Jann
No contradictions from me Jessie came to me at 14 months old having spent the previous 14 months either crated or kennelled on her own.

I started socialization the day I collected her, but 12 months of being on her own has left her with mental damage that will never fully leave her.

Nice that your dog is happy happy doing nothing, my current dogs do not work sheep or other stock, however they do work as I train them most days, even if it is simply to keep their brains ticking over

I got Rjj at 13 weeks, he's now 3
! got Jessie at 14 months, she's now 2
I got Wukee at 6 weeks, he's now 14 months

Perhaps that makes thinks clearer, I do not start "serious" obedience training, until the dog is ready & Wukee's breeding is that of a slow maturing dog, who is quick on the uptake & who needs training carefully to ensure he doesn't learn how do things incorrectly by rushing
munchkin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Is she speyed at all?
When I was Vet nursing we had a case of a collie with behavioural problems. Turned out to be a cyst on her ovaries causing hormane imbalance.
Speying and removing the ovaries cured the problem.
Don't know if this may help at all.
Good luck.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by munchkin View Post
Is she speyed at all?
When I was Vet nursing we had a case of a collie with behavioural problems. Turned out to be a cyst on her ovaries causing hormane imbalance.
Speying and removing the ovaries cured the problem.
Don't know if this may help at all.
Good luck.
Thanks Carol
No, she's not spayed she is only 6 months old and the vet wants to wait until after her first season, but thanks anyway
Elaine xx
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The only personal help I needed was on his sheep work. I didn't need any help with the obedience, WT or Showing. I had no sheep so hence the need for the experienced help with the right sheep to start a dog on

I never felt frustrated or unable to cope I simply went to an experienced shepherd & with his help re commands, whistling etc

Glen wasn't my first BC nor my first working(well pastoral) breed either & I learnt on other people's dogs with good dog trainers many years before
Oh forgive me then, you must be perfect!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 08:44 PM
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Sorry elaine, I forgot to say how glad I am that progress is being made with Poppy, but you're bound to have a few blips along the way. I might order that book too, it could help ME in the future if not now Hope all was well today anyways on your lovely walks and her training.xx

Re the food thing, I just looked on my bag of Hills large breed puppy, and I noticed the protein level is only 29%, so that 40% you mention with yours IS pretty high isn't it! I know with our horses, the higher the protein level the loopier they would be, sometimes to the point you couldn't sit on them, so it has to be the same in the dog world. Having said that, I still have a VERY hyper puppy even though my protein level is low, but I do add some tripe and chicken (protein again!), but I will continue to do that because of what we now know about the bloat syndrome on another thread the other day, the link stated you should add meat and other derivatives to avoid the risk of tortion, so I'm sticking with that!

Good luck elaine, I hope things go well for you with Poppy, especially if you're going to any training with lots of other dogs and people around and of course all that help from the trainers!
I am finding the more different methods I know about the more I can mix and match to suit me and the dog so this book is a godsend
I also find I get far more motivated to train more and better when I have a new goal

- and on the food front - dont worry about adding meat, raw meat is only about 20% protein so you are not giving them too much
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 09:50 PM

No but my dog almost was
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Elaine, just received your message, I am soooooooo pleased that you have had abrilliant day with poppy, hasn't she done well.

Well Done Poppy xxxxxx Sounds like you are moving forwards and upwards hun.

Glad to see that your getting good advice on here from the peeps too...especially re@ feeding.

Well Done Hun know wonder you feel chuffed.
Page 17 of 18 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 >