Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-01-2015, 11:29 PM

Organ %

I friend of mine brought down a couple of cases of premade raw that a local butcher does up north. They told me it has all sorts of meet in it; pork, beef, chicken, etc, including organs. It has no bone so I add whole bones to the mix. Only thing is that I don't know what the percentage is of organ. Should I add in their monthly percentage of organs anyways to make sure they are getting enough?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-01-2015, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, mine don't always have organs and it doesn't seem to affect them either way really.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2015, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I wouldn't worry about it, mine don't always have organs and it doesn't seem to affect them either way really.
''a couple of cases''

Hi June you know more about raw feeding than me , a couple of cases means the food will probably only last a short time anyway so shouldn't make a lot of difference should it.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2015, 10:46 AM
I was going to say much the same thing. For years I've fed my dogs on a mix of "home cooked" .... meat/poultry offal with veggies and for bones, raw poultry wings/necks and feet and sometimes grain free kibble mixed with fish or scrambled eggs/yoghourt/kefir or goats milk. I don't worry too much so long as what goes in comes out OK at the other end.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-01-2015, 11:11 AM
LOL Meg, like Chlosmum I keep an eye on t'other end and adjust accordingly
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2015, 01:53 PM
I'm guessing you spread giving organs over time? Not really sure what you mean by this.
I would feel better knowing that my guys are getting the nutrients in organs that are not found so much in muscle meat though.

Originally Posted by Meg View Post
''a couple of cases''

Hi June you know more about raw feeding than me , a couple of cases means the food will probably only last a short time anyway so shouldn't make a lot of difference should it.
I got 92lbs of raw, the cases are a good size. Tynan and Timber get 2 lbs of raw each per day. He comes down every couple of months and offered to bring me down some cases each time. Next time I can maybe get 3 cases since my dog freezer already had stuff in it last time. At this point just 2 of my dogs are on raw. The other is allergic/intolerant to beef and chicken so buying alternate sources are very expensive in my area. Once I start working and can afford it I will switch him over too. Since he's got allergies, I can't give him the premade mixed raw I am giving the other 2.

I want to make sure they are getting a proper balanced raw diet.

tawneywolf, what does your dogs feeding menu look like?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-01-2015, 02:04 PM
mmmm I don't have anything that resembles a menu really. You can't let yourself get bogged down in percents of this and that. Yes they do get organs and heart (muscle meat) but I don't have hard and fast rules. I go by poo's and what each individual dog needs, for example I've got a fatty that gets different to her daughter and her sister and niece, they are all fed different amounts based on them.
Beta Man
New Member!
Male 

18-04-2015, 01:17 AM
I was watching YouTube videos and reading comments, trying to get a feel for what others did, menu Ida's, etc....... Either way, I saw one video and the girl said she fed her dog chicken wings/drumsticks/thighs/breasts from the grocery store. Nothing else, no heart/liver/organs. She said she did this, without any supplements for the past 2 years.

I'm not advocating that approach, but it would appear if a dog was doing fine on that diet for 2 years, I shouldn't be too concerned with percentages. I plan on doing a big variety, but thought her "all frozen chicken" diet was interesting!
Bailey-jake
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2015, 05:10 AM
I'm another raw feeder, I don't worry about the percentages and just give Bailey a variety of things and he's doing much better on it (he has allergies to commercial foods).