View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 10:01 AM

Really Worried about china - looking scared...

Hi all,

First i will outline the circumstances and then i will explain her behaviour.

I took over a card shop in september. China, for the first week was a bit unsettled but then settled in fine and would often just crasah out upstairs in the bear showroom on the sofa...

Then week before last OH was off for a week so she stayed at home.

Come last tuesday (6th), she was back in the shop with me. She seemed a little unsettled but not overly so i put it down to her being away for a week...anyway since then she has been stealing food (which she NEVER does) and since then has gotten worse... she is constantly squeezing through the baby gate (i cant widen it because of the way the stairs are)to get into the shop, ad everytime i tell her to get back behind, she is cowering and looking really scared. Now i have looked around to see what may be scaring her but nothing has changed over the past few weeks. I havent hit her or shoutedd at her so i dont know why she looks so scared of me and its really upsetting me.

As i type this she is sat beneath my chair in the office shaking with her ears back. There is nothing except cars going past and the sound of pigeons in the loft that she can hear. She has been walked and fed and peed etc

Im at a loss.... she refuse to follow me upstairs or go there and is constantly trying to get out....

What is so confusing is she was perrfectly happy a few weeks ago...

Its so upsetting to see her like this coz i dont know what to fix.....

As for medical reasons, i havent been to the vet as at home she is perfectly happy, eats well, a normal dog...

PLEASE HELP!!!

Alex
xx

Edited to add: i have been rewarding her when she is in the office with me to build up a positive relationship but she isnt interested in the treats anymore she wants out...
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Poor China (and poor you worrying about her).

Evidently I'm only guessing, but it sounds like something has really scared her up there & its going to take a bit of work to get her comfortable again. It also sounds like it could be the start of seperation anxiety, so might be worth reading up on the various threads that have covered that topic.

No real advice I'm afraid, but some possible suggestions.
(1) get a radio for upstairs. Chances are it was a noise that scared her - a radio on in the background might make her feel more confident.
(2) if she is a playful dog, start off only taking her upstairs to play with her - don't leave her alone at first.
(3) gradually leave her for small periods. I know you said she isn't interested in treats when she's like that - but what about a kong filled with really, really tasty stuff?

I don't know how practical it is for you to not leave her up there by herself at the moment, but I have a feeling that unless you can address this quite quickly, it may get worse.

(ps I'm guessing that her looking scared of you is because she knows she's disobeying you but she really, really doesn't want to do what you want her to....its a look that many border collies owners are quite familiar with!)

Hopefully others will have some more substantial advice for you.

Good luck

Hali x
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 10:57 AM
PS it is also very important that China sees that you are relaxed and happy at her being upstairs. It is natural to be worried about her reactions, but if you show this (even without meaning to), she really will think there is something to worry about.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Poor China (and poor you worrying about her).

Evidently I'm only guessing, but it sounds like something has really scared her up there & its going to take a bit of work to get her comfortable again. It also sounds like it could be the start of seperation anxiety, so might be worth reading up on the various threads that have covered that topic.

No real advice I'm afraid, but some possible suggestions.
(1) get a radio for upstairs. Chances are it was a noise that scared her - a radio on in the background might make her feel more confident.
(2) if she is a playful dog, start off only taking her upstairs to play with her - don't leave her alone at first.
(3) gradually leave her for small periods. I know you said she isn't interested in treats when she's like that - but what about a kong filled with really, really tasty stuff?

I don't know how practical it is for you to not leave her up there by herself at the moment, but I have a feeling that unless you can address this quite quickly, it may get worse.

(ps I'm guessing that her looking scared of you is because she knows she's disobeying you but she really, really doesn't want to do what you want her to....its a look that many border collies owners are quite familiar with!)

Hopefully others will have some more substantial advice for you.

Good luck

Hali x
Thaks Hali,

I only leave her for about 30 mins at a time, im mostly upstairs...with her, we can leave her at home for hours and she just sleeps....

I have tried making upstairs fun for her...by playing with her calling her up in a happy voice etc, its just a case of why the sudden change in behaviour...
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Hi Alex I agree with the points made by Hali and feel that some small incident must have scared China.

Sorry I can't remember, how old is China and is she spayed?

Has she ever been in a crate and would it be possible to have her in the room with you in a dog crate/box with a comfy bed inside. I have to take Millie to work with me and she spends some of the time next to my desk in a covered crate with her toys and she loves it

You could habituate China to staying upstairs but it is a slow process and could only be done at China's speed.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2007, 07:02 AM
Hi Alex,
So sorry poor China is feeling this way. Great advice from both Hali and Mini, and nothing further I can add. Just wanted to say *hugs* x
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2007, 08:17 AM
I have no real suggestions but want to send my support. I know how horrible it is when your dog is scared and you feel so helpless. I`m really hoping you manage to resolve the problem sooner rather than later. Fudge sends some big brave licks to China.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Alex I agree with the points made by Hali and feel that some small incident must have scared China.

Sorry I can't remember, how old is China and is she spayed?

Has she ever been in a crate and would it be possible to have her in the room with you in a dog crate/box with a comfy bed inside. I have to take Millie to work with me and she spends some of the time next to my desk in a covered crate with her toys and she loves it

You could habituate China to staying upstairs but it is a slow process and could only be done at China's speed.
China is about 5/6 (not sure) and she is spayed...

There is a small space that could accomodate a crate in the hallway, but its cold out there and her bed in the office is right next to the radiator....

She came halfway up the stairs yesterday when i threw her bear( yes she has now adopted a grey Me To You bear ) up onto the first landing....

Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I have no real suggestions but want to send my support. I know how horrible it is when your dog is scared and you feel so helpless. I`m really hoping you manage to resolve the problem sooner rather than later. Fudge sends some big brave licks to China.
thanks, it horrible vbecause you really want them to understand that at no point would i let her come to any harm! but she doesnt get it....

She says thanks for the licks...
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
China is about 5/6 (not sure) and she is spayed...

There is a small space that could accomodate a crate in the hallway, but its cold out there and her bed in the office is right next to the radiator....

She came halfway up the stairs yesterday when i threw her bear( yes she has now adopted a grey Me To You bear ) up onto the first landing....

How about one of the soft crates or a Vari box with a fluffy blanket, they look really cosy and China may feel happier in one of those being near you .
She could also wear a coat if it was really cold
Maybe if she was takes to a box and feels secure in it she could go in it upstairs with the door left open ..
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
How about one of the soft crates or a Vari box with a fluffy blanket, they look really cosy and China may feel happier in one of those being near you .
She could also wear a coat if it was really cold
Maybe if she was takes to a box and feels secure in it she could go in it upstairs with the door left open ..
could do i suppose...whats a vari box?

she wouldnt be able to wander out of it as the door to the shop is in the hall way and i cant have her run out into the shop...and the door way cant accomodate baby gate...
thanks
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >