View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gipsy03
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2010, 01:57 PM

Hi (can I give tripe to my Boxer puppy?)

Hi my name is jules and i live with my husband and our best friend my boxer dog. He is 10 months old now and such a beautiful boy. I have a question I want to ask anybody, I feed him on puppy dry food and I put a small amount of frozen tripe in his food , we get it from pets at home, and he loves it, is it ok for pups. We had a rottie and he was on it too and it did him no harm
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Hi Jules and welcome to Dogsey
Tripe is an excellent food for dogs...

ETA
Previous threads about tripe..

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=118652

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=118530
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Diet is critical for large breed puppies. It is second only to genetics when it comes to avoiding joint problems. Tripe is quite rich, and an overly rich diet leads to fast growth and joint problems. For now, I would stick to puppy chow and nothing else. That something has been commonly done for a long time, doesn't mean it isn't risky.

You should be feeding a puppy chow now. Switching to an adult chow for the larger breeds at 4 months, slows growth and helps develop sturdier joints.

Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs.

You may not need to worry about overweight. Boxers are one of the breeds more likely to refuse to eat enough to hide their ribs than to over eat. The solution is not to add tripe, but to let the ribs show a little.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2010, 07:32 PM
we used to add tripe to our dogs dry food when he was a pup and the vet said it was fine and it did him no harm and they love it