View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 08:07 PM

What next? Now I have a lump in my thyroid!

Went to the docs today, I'm so embarassed as I seem to be up there constantly lately but I was concerned about a lump that has appeared in my neck over the last couple of weeks. It is as large as an egg and is so visable that my boss comented on it at work today, and I can feel it when I swallow.

Anyway, it transpires that I have a lump in my thyroid and he has requested a scan to ascertain what it consists of..apparently some of them can be removed by needle whereas others require an operation. I should have the scan appointment within 2 weeks, or sooner if there is a cancellation.

Of course I'm thinking all sorts of bad things and scared stiff. I wondered if anyone else had any experience of this and can tell me what to expect, and hopefully put my mind at rest a bit.

Sheree x
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Oh Sheree, I hope it is nothing to worry about, can't offer any advice but thinking of you. x
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

04-06-2008, 08:12 PM
So sorry to hear this |Sheree, I really don't have any advice, but I send you healing vibes and try not to worry too much. Love Exxxxxx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks so much ladies....the doctor did say not to panic just yet, but you hear so many stories don't you..and I suppose I'm just thinking the worse because of everything else thats happening.

Its lovely to know you're thinking of me xx
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Oh dear, poor you, I've no advice I'm afraid, just letting you know I'm thinking of you and sending you (((hugs))) and Jack sends Collie kisses as well
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
Oh dear, poor you, I've no advice I'm afraid, just letting you know I'm thinking of you and sending you (((hugs))) and Jack sends Collie kisses as well
Aww thanks so much to you both xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 08:29 PM
My sister had that several years back, and like you she went out of her mind, it was a goyter (sorry wrong spelling) but anyway it was removed from the thyroid and she was put on tablets for a while then everything was fine. That was at least 13 years back.
Keep your chin up hun....try to stay calm...easy for me to say I know, but you have been under alot of pressure lately. xxxxxxxxxxxxx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
My sister had that several years back, and like you she went out of her mind, it was a goyter (sorry wrong spelling) but anyway it was removed from the thyroid and she was put on tablets for a while then everything was fine. That was at least 13 years back.
Keep your chin up hun....try to stay calm...easy for me to say I know, but you have been under alot of pressure lately. xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Oh thanks so much for that, I do recall the doctor saying something like goyter, and he did say that these lumps are fairly common, but I don't know of anyone in my family or any of my friends that have had one so know nothing about them. Thats made me feel so much better xxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Oh thanks so much for that, I do recall the doctor saying something like goyter, and he did say that these lumps are fairly common, but I don't know of anyone in my family or any of my friends that have had one so know nothing about them. Thats made me feel so much better xxx
Take it easy Hun.......

We have a slight history of it, I had 3 aunts with the same problem too. Sometimes they are left if they appear not to be going anywhere, but other times they can grow and wrapped themselvs arounf the thyroid..which obviously can not be left.
My sister's was doing that that is why it was removed, and to be honest you can hardly see the scar...nice and neat.
I believe that they can be taken down with drugs to...depending on the type.
I am not preaching and I know I must sound as if this is easy, but you do need to try and stop worrying, it will only aggravate a goyter......so there now you have had Dr Stevie's orders.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post

Snap my dad had one too, and it was removed and although it left a scar he was ok.xx
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »