Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2010, 08:25 AM
I don't have a Morrison's near me.

I get oxtail from Tesco ~ it's usually about £3 per pack of approx 4 pieces.

But my local butcher is a star. He was approached several years ago by a BARF group in my area & he allowed them to put up leaflets in his shop on the benefits of raw feeding. He saves me anything that's just gone past it's sell by date & lets me have offal & mince cheap. As I freeze it or cook on the day I buy it, it's always been fine for the dogs.

Recently he got a job lot of beef on the bone for pot roasting (the end of the expensive rib of beef that is used for roasting) & let me have several very large joints cheaply. He even took the bones out for me so I had bagfuls of beef muscle meat & lots of beef bones (my dogs' favourites ) for about £12. I just cut up the meat into pieces & gave the fatty bits to the crows! I reckon I got about 6 beef meals plus 6 bone meals for that £12!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I don't have a Morrison's near me.

I get oxtail from Tesco ~ it's usually about £3 per pack of approx 4 pieces.

But my local butcher is a star. He was approached several years ago by a BARF group in my area & he allowed them to put up leaflets in his shop on the benefits of raw feeding. He saves me anything that's just gone past it's sell by date & lets me have offal & mince cheap. As I freeze it or cook on the day I buy it, it's always been fine for the dogs.

Recently he got a job lot of beef on the bone for pot roasting (the end of the expensive rib of beef that is used for roasting) & let me have several very large joints cheaply. He even took the bones out for me so I had bagfuls of beef muscle meat & lots of beef bones (my dogs' favourites ) for about £12. I just cut up the meat into pieces & gave the fatty bits to the crows! I reckon I got about 6 beef meals plus 6 bone meals for that £12!
That is great xxxxx And as an animal and bird lover it is great to hear other people feed crows too xxxxxxxxxx
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
That is great xxxxx And as an animal and bird lover it is great to hear other people feed crows too xxxxxxxxxx
I just love crows, such clever birds & so protective with their young.

I walk the dogs very early in the morning at the local park & I started by chucking a few gravy bones to any nearby crows. They would take them to a puddle, dunk them to soften them & then eat them. Then I started to throw a few bits of sausage or cheese or whatever I had on me. Before I knew it, the crows would appear as soon as my car pulled in the car park. They would keep just out of reach of the dogs, but they would follow me round the park, waiting for the treats.

Now, whatever time of day I go to the park, these 2 families of crows appear. I have to be careful not to start territorial feuds between the 2 families, who still have their adolescents with them. But it's got to the stage where one of the adults will sit on the car park sign when I'm leaving the park. It waits till I put the dogs in the car then I can go over &, if it's very quiet & no-one else around, I can hand feed it a piece of sausage/cheese/chicken etc. The young crows watch very closely & I think it won't be long before I can feed them too.

I remember seeing a film on crows in Japan, I think. These crows liked to eat some sort of nut that had a very hard shell. The crows learned to sit on the traffic lights, wait till the lights went red & the traffic stopped, then they would place the nuts on the road in front of the cars & retreat to the top of the traffic lights. They waited till the lights turned green, so the cars ran over the nuts & cracked the shells, then at the next red lights, they would go down & retrieve the nuts How clever

Glad to see another crow lover here
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I just love crows, such clever birds & so protective with their young.

I walk the dogs very early in the morning at the local park & I started by chucking a few gravy bones to any nearby crows. They would take them to a puddle, dunk them to soften them & then eat them. Then I started to throw a few bits of sausage or cheese or whatever I had on me. Before I knew it, the crows would appear as soon as my car pulled in the car park. They would keep just out of reach of the dogs, but they would follow me round the park, waiting for the treats.

Now, whatever time of day I go to the park, these 2 families of crows appear. I have to be careful not to start territorial feuds between the 2 families, who still have their adolescents with them. But it's got to the stage where one of the adults will sit on the car park sign when I'm leaving the park. It waits till I put the dogs in the car then I can go over &, if it's very quiet & no-one else around, I can hand feed it a piece of sausage/cheese/chicken etc. The young crows watch very closely & I think it won't be long before I can feed them too.

I remember seeing a film on crows in Japan, I think. These crows liked to eat some sort of nut that had a very hard shell. The crows learned to sit on the traffic lights, wait till the lights went red & the traffic stopped, then they would place the nuts on the road in front of the cars & retreat to the top of the traffic lights. They waited till the lights turned green, so the cars ran over the nuts & cracked the shells, then at the next red lights, they would go down & retrieve the nuts How clever

Glad to see another crow lover here
That is fab, you sound just like me, it is the sort of thing I would do! Xxxxxxx I do adore crows, all of them. I too think they are very clever and beautiful. One of my dreams was to meet Ravens, in the wild. I have realised that dream on my trips to Mull. They are far from tame but fly about near where we stay.
Keep up the feeding and keep me posted with any new developments, would love to know how they are getting on.
xXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXx
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
That is fab, you sound just like me, it is the sort of thing I would do! Xxxxxxx I do adore crows, all of them. I too think they are very clever and beautiful. One of my dreams was to meet Ravens, in the wild. I have realised that dream on my trips to Mull. They are far from tame but fly about near where we stay.
Keep up the feeding and keep me posted with any new developments, would love to know how they are getting on.
xXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXx
We seem to have got a bit off topic, but hey ho. Maybe we should start a thread in the "other pets" section!

Ravens are beautiful birds so you were lucky to see them on Mull.

I've seen films of crows fashioning tools from bits of wire so they can hook a treat out of a bottle ~ clever things!

I feed the birds on the roof of my garage (it is downhill from the garden so the roof's at shoulder height for me) & it stops the cats from catching the birds as they have to jump up through a load of shrubbery ~ by which time the birds have had plenty of warning. For the last 3 years we've had seagulls nesting on nearby roofs. Most of the neighbours hate them but they fascinate me ~ again such good parents. I even buy tins of pichards to feed them (but only when there's no-one around ~ even my OH calls them "sky rats" ). I can hold a bowl of cat food out & the seagulls will come & eat from my hand. Last year in a warm spell I put an old washing up bowl full of water on a wall & the young seagulls came down for a splash ~ uite a funny sight seeing 2 nearly grown seagulls trying to fit in a washing up bowl together.

I'll let you know about the crows in the park. I'm torn between continuing to hand feed & leaving them alone as I don't want to get the youngsters too familiar with humans in case someone does them harm. I've already made myself unpopular with the Dogs Trust staff next door to the park as they take dogs over there for training & started throwing treats around for the dogs to find ~ the crows flew down & knicked them all.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2010, 11:09 AM
My local butcher was rubbish! Right grumpy, whinged that he thought giveing dogs to bones was dangerous and that he gets everything in pre prepared and cleaned already so doesn't get offcuts!!! The only thing he had was chicken carcasses but he was such a grumpy sod that I don't want to go to him. That's London butchers for you, no more a butcher than Tesco, just a prechopped meat supplier.

There is a farmers Market near me though that sell venison bones (bag of around 10 spine chunks cut into 5 inch pieces) for just 50p a bag. Bargain!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
My local butcher was rubbish! Right grumpy, whinged that he thought giveing dogs to bones was dangerous and that he gets everything in pre prepared and cleaned already so doesn't get offcuts!!! The only thing he had was chicken carcasses but he was such a grumpy sod that I don't want to go to him. That's London butchers for you, no more a butcher than Tesco, just a prechopped meat supplier.

There is a farmers Market near me though that sell venison bones (bag of around 10 spine chunks cut into 5 inch pieces) for just 50p a bag. Bargain!
That is a bargain. One of mine (butchers) is great he gives me lamb bones which are well appreciated. The other kept saying no, then one day said you can buy them, said ok then, then he pointed to the shelf where he had roasted them! 50p each lol I never bought them (told him its raw bones...) and Iv'e never seen any for sale since (roasted or raw) Far as I'm aware they go in the bin the same day anyway....oh well, as I said the other guy is great and will happily give me lamb bones which I appreciate.

There's one in town which (if they have any) only ask for a donation in the charity box which is fair enough, so I can't complain really. One butcher did look really concerned one day though and informed me that I should really make my dog some pasta or rice.......bless him.
wilmasmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2011, 09:48 PM
[QUOTE=Moon's Mum;2041450]My local butcher was rubbish! Right grumpy, whinged that he thought giveing dogs to bones was dangerous

Don,t much like the idea of giving my dog to a bone either
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 03:39 PM
I'd just like to revive this old thread to reiterate my love of Morrisons! Just popped in to get some extras for Cain and they were fully stocked up so I went a bit mad.

I got
8 chicken quarters
8 pig trotters
8 pig kidneys
3 giant ox kidneys
A huge rack of pork ribs
A pack of pig heart

All for £12 *woo does a little dance*

Now off to Asda to raid the halal butcher for cow feet, lamb feet and chicken gizzards then I'm spending the afternoon bagging up the new food and Berriewoods order and sorting his new freezer. The really sad thing is....I'm looking forward to it I need a life....
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 03:56 PM
I do love morrisons for the dogs
The fishmongers is great too. I get sprats when they are on cheep freeze them and give the dogs sprats lollies on hot days

Also if you talk nicely to the fishmonger when they have a whiole salmon in to prepair they put offcuts and bones aside - I even got the whole head - gulp!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >