Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-01-2012, 07:30 PM

Annual boosters

Right just having a gander through some articles and came across the "Are we vaccinating too much?" it was a very good and eye opening read, now sammy is booked into vets next tuesday for his booster and microchipping and vet check. now after reading that article im wondering if i do do it, and just leave it. what is everyones opinion on the matter, do you boost yearly, do you bother at all?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2012, 07:31 PM
I don't do boosters at all, but it's very much a personal choice. If your dog goes in kennels you may still need to booster.
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I don't do boosters at all, but it's very much a personal choice. If your dog goes in kennels you may still need to booster.
thats the only thing why we would, if we go on holidays then sammy will need to go into kennels. its a very hard one to decide on, as if we do annual boosting and we give sammy later in life lots of health problems i'd kick myself, but then if we dont we have no one to look after him whilst on holiday. this is very hard to decide on and now split on what to do.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Gelert had his first booster as I felt he should but it's unlikely I will be having him done every year from now on. I'm still undecided on how exactly I will be doing things though...
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2012, 07:49 PM
There are far too many unvaccinated dogs here so Pereg has annual boosters. In addition the Pension will not take a dog without up-to-date vaccinations.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2012, 07:57 PM
We do puppy jabs and first booster and that's it. Like Loki's mum said, it is personal choice. It is something I read and researched and made a decision.

Helen
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm with Helen on this one, I only ever have the first year annual booster, because I felt it was the most important one.

After that, I can go for as long as the initial vaccines last which could be 3 or 5 years, I haven't looked back to check on that one yet. I will probably have these next vacs done and then forget it. Parvo is my big fear here, and I will always have the recommended vaccine done at whatever interval that is, but it's definitely not included in the annual vaccine.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
There are far too many unvaccinated dogs here so Pereg has annual boosters. In addition the Pension will not take a dog without up-to-date vaccinations.
It will be like that in this country soon.

As others have said personal choice, my choice is and always has been to have both my children and dogs vaccinated.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Jake has only had his puppy vaccinations, and his first booster. I missed his last one, and I'm undecided on what to do next... the earliest vaccination I will do is in 2 years (so plenty of time to decided ) so then it is 3 years between them... I'm not sure though whether to just complete leave any boosters.

If I ever go away anywhere, then my parents will look after Jake so I don't need to worry about kennels.
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-01-2012, 08:28 PM
very interesting im waiting for more replies before making my mind up, he had his first 2 vacs, but it seems like in the article not to have boosters. i dont really want to give sammy his annual boosters for the rest of his life, and end up doing more harm.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »