Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gemz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2008, 12:23 PM

Puppy behaviour problems

Hi, I have had my puppy Theo for almost a week now. He was very well behaved untill today, he seems what I can only describe as extreamly hyperactive running round and round, jumping but also biting me but not in such a playful way as he usually does, weeing in the house constantly, even thought I take him out to go when I see he needs to. But he wont go outside, he waits till he he's back in and then does it. Is this normal behaviour? Is there a reason for it? Is there anything I can do to stop him doing these things? thank you
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2008, 12:30 PM
It sounds like he's just gotten comfortable in his new home!

How old is he?

I'm sure the training bods will have loads of suggestions, for me I'd start doing some command work with treats asap - sit, come here etc, start showing him you're the leader not him!

I also house train using treats - he wees outside, he gets a treat. I always get them to associate the words "wee" and "poo" with a treat asap and then once they've got that, they'll do it upon request unless they really haven't got any in there!
gemz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2008, 12:34 PM
he is almost 9 weeks now. I was planning to take him to classes in 2 weeks once he has had his last injection, but the trainer said its best to start after christmas due to the break inbetween. Ok, yes it seems he has the attitude that he rules, as when he is playing in the garden I cannot get him to come in unless i carry him in myself. I dont like to do this too often because I want him to know when to come in and willingly come himself.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Theo seems to have settled in and is now showing his true puppy colours! Just keep to your guns and carry on with his training. Every puppy i have ever know tested there new owners once they have settled in a bit.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Yes, just like children, they will constantly 'test' you to find out their boundaries and what 'they can get away with' LOL The sooner you start setting some ground rules, the easier it will be when you get to training classes.

Are you familiar with any of the basic training for a puppy? or is this all completely new for you?

If not, here's some great intro's written by a positive-method trainer Ian Dunbar, there are loads of others, I just like this one particularly:

http://www.siriuspup.com/pdfs/14ComeSitDownStay.pdf

http://www.siriuspup.com/pdfs/01NewPuppy.pdf

http://www.siriuspup.com/pdfs/03Housesoiling.pdf

And for loads of other articles:

http://www.siriuspup.com/behavior_problems.html

Or, of course, post your questions here!
gemz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2008, 01:05 PM
thanks for the links Ziva they help. Oh and yes I'm a total newbie, I've read books and researched online. But not totally clues up on how to make sure he knows I'm boss. I did lock him in his bed earlier untill he had calmed down, it seemed to work, he went from attacing me trying to bite me and jumping up and down like he had a trampoline lol, then 5 mins after being in his bed he was calm and playful again. Is this a good idea? or is it mean?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Ela used to have to have a 'time out' as well, its a good way to show what behavior is exceptable. I don't think its mean just a way of setting rules.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 01:33 PM
I too would start puppy training imprinting basic commands by luring him into position with treats. If he starts to get too excited stand up, turn your back on him and wait giving him no attention until he gives up and is calm again. Then carry on playing and treating. He just needs some structure and leadership in his life.

To get him to come back in from the garden, I would keep a tub of special treats by the back door and give him one everytime he listens to you to come back in. I think he'll soon be rushing back in. You may have to lure him a couple of times from the back garden to the door, giving him the treat when he is inside until he gets the idea.

Puppy toilet training is hard with some pups. You just have to perservere. Make sure you go out with him in the garden and wait for him to perform. It helps to take him out after sleep, maeltime and play as that is when he will feel the most urge to go.
gemz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2008, 01:44 PM
great thanks for all the advice, I have started outside when he goes toilet-treat, when he comes to me when i ask-treat, when he sits when i ask-treat. He seems alot calmer than he was this morning, Thankyou all
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Cool, that's great news .... keep up the good work!

Originally Posted by gemz
But not totally clues up on how to make sure he knows I'm boss.
It's really about showing them that you kind of control things, so you control food, when he can play, what he can and can not do.

There's a form of training called NILIF (nothing in life is free) and it's based on if they want to go out, they have to something for you first, like work for it, such as a sit. Asking them to sit before you give them their food bowl is a good place to start. Once they realise that you're in control, they seem to relax and tow the line a bit more.

Another tip is to use redirection rather than a simple "no you can't do that", so if he's chewing something he shouldn't, redirect by giving him something he can chew; or if he's doing something he shouldn't redirect by encouraging him to do something else.