Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-11-2005, 12:35 AM

Star Wars episode III ("Sith happens")

Having been a long-term addict of George Lucas' "Star Wars" films, I had to get my hands on the DVD. (And why has my computer just deleted most of what I've written? Now I'll have to do it all again! ) You may have to be an addict like me to appreciate these notes.

I got hooked with the release of Episodes IV, V and VI, starting at their first release in 1977. These episodes are referred to hereafter as "The Originals".

The prequels (episodes I and II) were, IMO, too reliant on CGI special effects, and so is episode III, "Revenge of the Sith" (Sith happens). I have the feeling that the series has now got its head so far up its own **** that it needs a very powerful torch! The Galactic politics are as clear as mud, and so much of Ep III has been telegraphed by the first two prequels!

Episode III is a triumph of CGI, beautifully done, you can't see the joins (but perhaps that's because so much is CGI), but, if you've seen the originals, the story is very predictable (Anakin becomes Darth Vader, he falls for Padme, has his naughty way with her, and the results - Luke and Leia - get fostered out). The barely-veiled Palpatine emerges as the Emperor (the excellent Ian MacDairmid) - the "Dark Lord of the Sith". So, no surprises there.

Episode III is merely a "closing of the circle", then, and, I'd suggest, one for dippy addicts (me) who like to have complete sets.

The original (Ep IV) came out in 1977, and its age is given away by the developments in cinema technology - the robots in the prequels are more advanced than those in the originals. The title music has been beefed up a bit, which is good, though. Probably a new recording.

In the "extras" portion of the 2-disc set, there are hints of a seventh Star Wars film, but it's difficult to imagine what it might be, as there appears to be nowhere for the story to go, now.

Ewan Macgregor does a lot of leaping about and waving of lightsabres, but Alec Guinness he isn't. Hayden Christensen looks suitably doomy, and Natalie Portman is, of course, gorgeous

A good one for kids, possibly (my pal's 11?-year old son christened it "Sith Happens", and I think I agree with him.

A "timepasser", then, and an avid fan's collection item, but not my Film of the Year.

Snorri

(My ******* smilies won't work now. Computer is going belly-up!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Just bought this for Baz - I'm more of a Trekkie myself.....hope he enjoys it though - I'll be on DW whilst it's on!
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2005, 09:26 AM
This could have been so much better
Yorkie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2005, 12:36 PM
I'm not a big Star Wars fan really but my OH is and so I reluctantly went to see it at the cinema with him. I actually quite enjoyed it (maybe because I can't compare it to previous ones..) and I liked the way it sort of brought everything together as I've never seen the other films so didn't get the whole Darth vader/ Anakin Skywalker relationship. I do now tho! Oh and Snorri I love the "Sith happens" comment!!
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-11-2005, 01:22 PM
They tried to cram too much in the last film. one minute Anakin is completely loyal to Obi next he's murdering young kids (badly acting young kids at that )
It should have really been four films
Best of the three i thought though